Can't properly open applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

genwen

I would like to seek assistance coz I am having trouble opening almost all my applications (browsers, messengers, anti-virus, win media...) Everytime I open them, MS Office Word opens instead, and on top of it displays a dialogue box 'File conversion - wmplayer.exe'

But I am not having problem with MS office Suite except that, it will not open properly right from the Program Files folder. I need to open an existing document/file first before I can make/open a new one.

Can anyone help me please the soonest possible? Badly needed.

Many thanks!

Hi, I would understand your reaction, :) even I was wondering what happened and don't know how to explain it the simplest.. With all the similar topics you sent, I am sorry but I can't relate to any.

I think my staff has made some changes unknowingly. Every time I open ANY application OR file from anywhere e.g. desktop, Program Files folder etc. (except opening EXPLORE from Start menu) the MS Word document opens instead, which is also accompanied by a dialogue box saying 'File conversion - wmplayer.exe' Obviously, application/file will not open. By the way, I am using MS Office 2007 suite.

The only work around we can do is open 'Explore' from the Start menu then RIGHT CLICK the application or any file then choose OPEN. Then it will PROPERLY open application or file, :) BUT IF I will double click the application/file using LEFT button (the standard way of opening) it will display the same problem (MS Office Word will display instead).

Gee, I don't know if that is clearer now, :D Though I know I can do System Restore, I was just thinking what happened why this such occurred.

Again, thank you and I would appreciate any reply on this, :)

I think my staff has made some changes unknowingly.

Question: do your staff member have Administrative rights to make changes?
Did you ask them if and what changes they made?
Check the Event Viewer for Error that corresponds to time of failed opening. That will help us look for a cause.
Additionally, can you or have you ruled out malware? What security programs do you have? Have you updated and scanned with each?

For the Event Viewer:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error>
3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)

If you have recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed. You can ignore Warnings and Information Events and you don't need to include the lines of code-if any- in the box below the description.

For now, use Windows Explorer to open.

Hi Bobbye,

Thank you for the reply. I was able to read this just now. About the event viewer, same thing error occurs every time I try to open it as directed.

I am using Zone Alarm for security. I wish you can see the error...

Many thanks.

Have you tried to copy the image and paste it or attach it here?

While you have given some descriptions, I am still unsure of just what is happening:

1. You cannot open programs using Start> All Programs. Is this correct.
2. You can do a right click> Explore> Programs and open from there without problem. Is that correct?
3. Are the using the ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 8.02? This includes Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, Identity Theft Protection, Operating System Firewall, Network and Program Firewall, IM Protection, Parental Control, E-mail Security, Auto-Learn, Game Mode.
4. Have you opened the Program section of the firewall and given permission for the specific programs to access the internet?

Hi Bobbye

Again thanks for replying. I have attached 2 files, screen shots of opening firefox and the other one MS Excel but as you notice, it's the MS Word window that opens with that certain dialogue box. That happens to all applications and any files opening through the normal way, left clicking.

Please find below my answers to your queries.

1. You cannot open programs using Start> All Programs. Is this correct.
--- We can IF from PROGRAMS already, am going to open the application by RIGHT clicking the mouse then choose OPEN. BUT if just doing the normal way, LEFT click, I'll have same error.

2. You can do a right click> Explore> Programs and open from there without problem. Is that correct?
--- YES but then again, we need to use RIGHT button, click and choose OPEN.

3. Are the using the ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 8.02? This includes Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, Identity Theft Protection, Operating System Firewall, Network and Program Firewall, IM Protection, Parental Control, E-mail Security, Auto-Learn, Game Mode.
--- It's 8.0.298

4. Have you opened the Program section of the firewall and given permission for the specific programs to access the internet?
--- I have no problem with this...everything's accessible and those that requires the Net.

Again, thank you.

Re-set encoding.

Ah a picture tells a thousand words!

Please reset as follows:
Open Firefox> Tools> Options> Content> Fonts & Colors> Fonts> Default Font> Advanced button> set dialog boxes as follows:
Top box for Fonts> set to Western
UNCHECK line 'allow pages to choose font instead of my settings'
Bottom box> Default Character Encoding> set to Western (ISO-8859-1)> OK

Also in Content> Languages> Choose> set to:
English/United States [en-us]
English [en]
then OK
Close and reboot.

NOTE: on the error you're getting about File Conversion, you might have to click on 'other encoding' to make the change.

See if this works for Firefox.

EDIT: One other place we should have checked first: Do this first:
Control Panel> Mouse> Buttons> left button should be set to 'click'> right button should be set to 'right click'> Apply> OK
Note: if you would like to only have to use a single click to open with the left mouse button:
Control Panel> Folder options> 'Click items as follows'> CHECK 'single click' to open> Apply> OK.

Hi again Bobbye,

Everything you wish us to set has the same settings already EXCEPT to UNCHECK line... so we did that one, rebooted but still same thing happens...

As for the mouse settings, we have all those settings ok, too.

I wish to uninstall MS office suite and see what will happen. Unfortunately, I can't open the Control Panel in any way. As for using the RUN command, same error happens. All I can open is the TASK Manager by using pressing CTRL+ALT Del. As in I can't run anything other than that.

I hope we still have other options other than reformatting the PC. Actually, it's our server in an i-net shop so I wish that reformatting is unnecessary...

Hope to know from you again.

Many thanks.

Ok, thanks for that one. I just got back and I'll try to work on it later. Surely, I'll let you know what will happen.

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back