Cant resize my partition. Please help a new member

Status
Not open for further replies.

freemason

Hey everybody. Im new here on techspot. And I have a problem.
About a week ago i reinstalled windows. But after i did that i`ve been having some HD problems...
I have a seagate barracuda 120gb 7200rpm, and its partitioned in 2 parts.
One SYSTEM part with windows, and one part for storage (for media, games and so on)

And now the system partition is to small (just under 2Gb) so I have about 1mb free space on that partition after i squeezed in office 2003.

I`ve tried useing powerquest partition magic 8.0 to resize the partition but it just doesent work. :confused:

Anybody have some tips for me on how i can get my system more stable, with a bigger SYSTEM partition?

Cheers
Freemason :giddy:

OH.. PS here is my stats in "Everest"

"Does not work" means what? The infamous "I will not work" dialog box pops up?

In order to make your system partition bigger you will have to shrink your data partition (shrink it from the beginning, not the end!) first and then expand your system partition to the unused space.

I have never had any luck with resizing an installed systems's partitions there are too many core file properties that can easily become unstable.
Bite the bullit >Wipe out your existing partitions> re-partition and cleanly reload.
It will be the best way in the long run.

I agree with liquidlen...
8 to 12G. is a decent size for the XP OS partition...

patio. :cool:

Okay so what youre saying is that I should "merge" the two partitions i have. and afterwards reinstall windows?
What kind of problems would i have if I just keep my HD as one big partition and dont have a seperate one for OS?

The thing is that after i re installed windows, the system partition sized itself to 2gb, I dident do it. and the letters c: and d: switched between the two from the way i had it before reinstalling. Weird, how do i change back?

Cheers
Freemason

Thanks all for the input!! :wave: :wave:

I guess you did do it - inadvertently. Use drive mapper in PM to change the letters. Make the larger partition smaller form the front as Nodsu said and then expand the smaller partition to use the space. It is safer to to do one operation at a time. 10 GB as recommended by Patio is fine. Bearing in mind you need 15% free space to defrag properly.

Hey guys, thanks for the tips/help.
AArrgh!! I guess im meant to live in computer hell...
I`ve tried the things you have told me but it doesent seem to help. Ive tried to resize/move the largest parition from the front and to redistribute the free space on to my logical partition (the tiny fu**ing 2gb piece of sh*t) It all looks fine and dandy. PM shows me that after the reeboot im going to have 600mb free space. But after reebooting it just shows up with 10mb of free space.. Grrrr.
And what up with programs like nero, and others that just installs itself on the system partition without even asking if you want to install it somwhere else? :confused:
I realy dont want to re install windows again, because ive just gotten my settings back the way i want it.
And i also dont have an original version of windows and office. Just borrowed from friends.
I think it boils down to that im no computer whizz, and i lack the language skills to proparly explain my problem and my actions to solve it..

Thanks anyways guys :blackeye:
Cheers Freemason (Andy)
Cheer

Thanks Ironduke. CClean gave me something like 130mb more to go on.
Now if i could only get this insanity of increasing the size of my logical partition going my way.....

Cheers Freemason

As long as you make space first there should be no problem.
Also in %systemdrive%\winnt you'll probably find a lot of files e.g. $NtUninstallKB871250$ these are from installations of Windows service packs and updates. They're there so you can wind back updates and so if you are happy that you don't want to undo any of these they can be removed. If you've installed SP2 that is many MBs of space.

Thanks duke, I will try fooling around with PM 8.0 some more. Just need to clean up some space, and upload all my important buisiness files to my gmail account. Just in case something goes sour.

By the way on start up. i get "xmnt 2002- cant find program-skipping autocheck" Or something like that. Anyone know what that means?

Cheers Freemason

Hmmm...? I dont think I have any linux software on my computer.
I was thinking..
Could it be possible that something is causing PM 8.0 not to be able to execute the changes i define while running the program?
Its like i set a task to be done, I press "apply" and the computer reboots, and nothing has happend. Its like it promises me 600mb of free space after changes, and then after booting, it gives me zero..

Cheers Freemason

You should be doing this as under an administrative account.

Yes the xmnt command comes from PM (as far as I recall it runs with Linux).

You could try building the PM diskettes and doing the partitioning from there. In DOS mode the changes are applied immediately without reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back