Can't stream live news

learninmypc

Not sure if this is the correct part of the forum to post this,but up to about 2 or 3 months ago I was able to watch my local news stream their newscast live on my pc.
I don't know if it was an MS update or not.
I've already tried Firefox in safe mode,but no difference.
What is the easiest way to fix this? TIA:)

XP MCE 512 MB Ram, 179 GB harddrive

For me, some sites doesn't work well w/ FF, but works fine in IE. Have you tried using IE? Also, maybe the FF add-ons need to be updated?

Don't bump your thread within the first 24 hours, its poor form.

If you only have 512 megs of RAM, you've probably got yourself a pretty old system. An updated XP system really needs a minimum of 1 gig of RAM now. Every service pack released for XP just made the system more sluggish for old systems.

Now to your problem - you are going to have to give some more details. It used to work and now doesn't is not good enough. What about it doesn't work? Does it not even attempt to play? Does it play and is choppy? Do you see an icon where the video should be? Does it not work in all browsers?

For me, some sites doesn't work well w/ FF, but works fine in IE. Have you tried using IE? Also, maybe the FF add-ons need to be updated?

Yes, I've tried it in IE8 & SeaMonkey,too. Addons are all current & I've tried FF in Safe mode. Just :confused:
Don't really feel like having to remove MS updates one at a time. Hoping for an easier fix.

Don't bump your thread within the first 24 hours, its poor form.

If you only have 512 megs of RAM, you've probably got yourself a pretty old system. An updated XP system really needs a minimum of 1 gig of RAM now. Every service pack released for XP just made the system more sluggish for old systems.

Now to your problem - you are going to have to give some more details. It used to work and now doesn't is not good enough. What about it doesn't work? Does it not even attempt to play? Does it play and is choppy? Do you see an icon where the video should be? Does it not work in all browsers?

Ok, I won't bump my thread,thanks & sorry.
Yes,I know it should have 1 gb but I can't afford it.
The live streaming had worked with no problem for about 3 or 4 years. It just quit working sometime in the past 2 or 3 months. Not sure,cause I can watch it on tv. As I said,I think it might be an MS update.
When I click the link for their live streaming, it goes thru the normal connecting process but after it says "Connecting to media" , nothing happens.It just stays there.
I've checked the plug ins, but it says they're updated. Addons are updated.
I'll have to wait till 5pm pdt to try again. I hope I've answered your questions.

Mind Boggling!! I just now tried it in FF & Its working fine. Have no idea how long it'll last,but for now,its working.

Thanks to all that helped.
I have a similiar problem with SeaMonkey. Do I start a separate thread for that, or continue here?

Just checked it out and it worked. The URL for the stream is: http://mfile.akamai.com/12926/live/reflector:53143.asx

I'm guessing the stream is from Akamai.com every time. Not sure what on your computer could have blocked it in the past. You have some sort of ad blocker on your PC? Maybe Akamai was added by mistake and thru some updates, it's off the block list?

Just checked it out and it worked. The URL for the stream is: http://mfile.akamai.com/12926/live/reflector:53143.asx

I'm guessing the stream is from Akamai.com every time. Not sure what on your computer could have blocked it in the past. You have some sort of ad blocker on your PC? Maybe Akamai was added by mistake and thru some updates, it's off the block list?

Yes,I do use Adblock plus. It could of updated its self, I don't know. I'm happy its working now & I thank all who helped.

Well, this is just a thought..... but Akamai, I believe, does/did the hosting for Apple updates, or at least maybe the Lion release (new Mac OS). Lion was released yesterday, and I heard of people having issues with other software updates on Apple's App Store. So if I'm right that Akamai handled those updates for Apple (someone from TS told me that) then maybe they were just getting hammered so hard it was a temporary thing..?

Well, this is just a thought..... but Akamai, I believe, does/did the hosting for Apple updates, or at least maybe the Lion release (new Mac OS). Lion was released yesterday, and I heard of people having issues with other software updates on Apple's App Store. So if I'm right that Akamai handled those updates for Apple (someone from TS told me that) then maybe they were just getting hammered so hard it was a temporary thing..?

I understand,but I haven't been able to view my local news online for at least 2 months,maybe more. Just glad its now working. Hoping I can find a fix for SeaMonkey now. All I get with it is this
SeaMonkey.jpg

I've tried numerous times to install it,but still nothing.

For unknown reasons, it has happened again. Can't view ANY live streaming on any of my browsers. FF,SeaMonkey or Google Chrome. Not even IE:confused:I've made no changes.

1740 EDT, clicked on the link for Watch it now: Seafair Sunday Coverage. Didn't have a problem. Maybe it's problem w/ the other end?

I've just contacted the station via their website,hoping to get it fixed.

Obviously it hasn't been fixed,so I'm asking anybody interested if you would kindly go to this link http://www.kirotv.com/index.html at 5:00pm to 6pm , 11:00pm , 4:30 AM to 7am or NOON to 12:30 pm Monday thru Friday or 5:00 to 6:30 PM weekends (PDT) PACIFIC DAYLIGHT TIME & click on this banner
efe937780e95574250dabe07151bdc23.jpg

I cannot figure out why it aint working for me on ANY browser. It quit about 10 days ago. I'll be trying it on a friends computer Friday. TIA guys n gals.:)

It still doesn't work in IE? I wonder if an entry was somehow added to the host file and blocks your connection to the server?

Sorry, I never tried it in IE. If I'm up that late tonight,I'll give it a shot.
I know nothing about a hosts file.

Back