Can't Uinstall IE7 Beta 2 - big oops with ccleaner :(

By Mr.Fork
Jul 2, 2006
  1. Hey all,

IE7 Beta 3 was released last week. I went to uninstall Beta 2 and realized that CCLEANER uninstalled the installation director from C:\WINDOWS (stupid me).

When I tried to install IE7 Beta 3, it states I must uninstall Beta 2 first - which I can't cause the installer is no longer on my machine.

Anyone know how I can trick IE7 beta 3 to just install regardless of the IE7B2?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Can you do a system restore to before you used Ccleaner to uninstall the installation director?

Failing that, can you reinstall the beta 2 version? Then uninstall in the normal way.

Regards Howard :)
  3. Mr.Fork

Mr.Fork TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

I looked at my system restore - I have a couple of other important installs after that date.

You also can't find IE7B2 anymore either.

But I fixed it. How?

I renamed IEXPLORERE.EXE in Program Files\Internet Explorer to IEXPLORER1.EXe and presto, IE7 Beta 3 installed.

Thanks for your suggestions!

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

That`s great news.

Thanks for letting us know.

Regards Howard :)
  5. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 TS Rookie Posts: 356

Just goes to show sometimes they most unlikely things to work are the best things to do. :)
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

I downloaded this crap myself and found out it was worse than IE6. Fortunately I have Goback on my system and I was able to go back to the previous state. I hope you have a back up or some other kind of reversion program.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.