TechSpot

Can't Uinstall IE7 Beta 2 - big oops with ccleaner :(

By Mr.Fork
Jul 2, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all,

IE7 Beta 3 was released last week. I went to uninstall Beta 2 and realized that CCLEANER uninstalled the installation director from C:\WINDOWS (stupid me).

When I tried to install IE7 Beta 3, it states I must uninstall Beta 2 first - which I can't cause the installer is no longer on my machine.

Anyone know how I can trick IE7 beta 3 to just install regardless of the IE7B2?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Can you do a system restore to before you used Ccleaner to uninstall the installation director?

Failing that, can you reinstall the beta 2 version? Then uninstall in the normal way.

Regards Howard :)
  3. Mr.Fork

Mr.Fork TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 26

I looked at my system restore - I have a couple of other important installs after that date.

You also can't find IE7B2 anymore either.

But I fixed it. How?

I renamed IEXPLORERE.EXE in Program Files\Internet Explorer to IEXPLORER1.EXe and presto, IE7 Beta 3 installed.

Thanks for your suggestions!

MR.F
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

That`s great news.

Thanks for letting us know.

Regards Howard :)
  5. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 TS Rookie Posts: 484

Just goes to show sometimes they most unlikely things to work are the best things to do. :)
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

I downloaded this crap myself and found out it was worse than IE6. Fortunately I have Goback on my system and I was able to go back to the previous state. I hope you have a back up or some other kind of reversion program.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.