Catalyst 10.5 Radeon GPU drivers released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The monthly driver update for Radeon graphics cards is now available, courtesy of AMD. Catalyst 10.5 resolves a variety of issues for all Windows operating systems and brings the typical round of tweak. Support for 120Hz displays has been added for Radeon HD 3000 or 4000-series cards, as well as overclocking enhancements for multi-monitor setups.

Many games have received fixes, including Alien vs. Predator, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Empire: Total War, IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946, Mass Effect 2, Napoleon: Total War, Resident Evil 5, and Splinter Cell Conviction. Other squashed bugs include one that improperly reported HDTV resolutions when hovering over an icon under in the CCC, and anther caused vertical stripes to appear during XVID content playback with dynamic contrast enabled.

You can read the complete release notes here (PDF), and download your copy of Catalyst 10.5 below:

Windows XP 32-bit | Windows XP 64-bit | Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Permalink to story.

I've just been trying to apply the 10.1 hotfix to my 10.4 driver install to fix the grey screen of death problem on my 5850. Hopefully this includes that and I can have a clean proper driver installation. Hadn't really noticed the long Bad Company 2 load times on desktop or laptop(5650 mobility) but guess that fix should be good too :)

I get the exact same, on my 5970 BE Graphics. I didn't spend just under £600 on something that isn't going to work properly, so this update better fix it. I'm also using Windows 7 64-Bit.

I get the exact same, on my 5970 BE Graphics. I didn't spend just under £600 on something that isn't going to work properly, so this update better fix it. I'm also using Windows 7 64-Bit.

The 10.1 hotfix from AMD that I found fixed it, and also some 10.4a beta drivers are available. Both seem to address the problem. So hopefully that same fix is in these new drivers. If not I suggest you look for those.

The GSOD is a hardware problem. I had the same issue, RMA'd my card and the new one worked perfectly.

The GSOD is a hardware problem. I had the same issue, RMA'd my card and the new one worked perfectly.

10.1 Hot Fix drivers here at Techspot

"Alleviates some of the intermittent grey screen and vertical line corruptions that may randomly appear during normal usage when using an ATI™ Radeon HD 5800 series graphics card"

Of course if the problem still happens after the 10.5 drivers I will be RMAing the card.
But since I applied the 10.1 hot fix I haven't experienced the problem.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/01/ati-grey-screen-death-fix-coming-soon/ said:
The GSoD in question is only on GDDR5 equipped 58xx and 57xx cards, and only on Windows 7. The problem first started when Microsoft put out an update to Win 7, although the exact patch and what it affected is not clear. One problem is that the GSoD problem is a specific problem, but there are other issues that may mimic the same fault, and striped screen crashes have been around for ages.

For RMA'ing a card do i still need the orginal packaging, because i binned that long ago.

Depends on the retailer. Check with the store/website that you purchased it from.

Have you tried the 10.4a drivers or 10.5 to see if that helps at all?

10.5 gave me a black screen and then put my monitor on standby, the only way out was to restart. However when i restarted the installation the program goes unresponsive and im forced to close it. I've contacted overclockers regarding the RMA as they're the ones i bought the graphics card from. So hopefully, i dont need the packaging and hopefully they can offer me a solution.

I'm gonna try that hotfix in about an hour.

They ever going to reintroduce OpenGL on Windows 7? Nvidia will own this generation if AMD doesn't get that crap together.

No fixes that I'd care about so I think I'll wait for a version that allows Eyefinity in pivot-normal-pivot monitor config (4960x1600).

There is a power power issue with the new 10.5 version. For any users that isn't running at Default clock speed in CCC, will notice an increased idle temperature. Normally the idle clock is lowered to 157 MHz but with this update it goes no lower than 400 MHz..

There's a PowerPlay issue with every driver release with the HD5xxx series.
Add in the dodgy early BIOS's, probable (but unconfirmed by AMD) bad batch of vRAM IC's and the fact that AMD don't monitor or help out on their own forums then the RMA route is going to provide a more satisfactory conclusion for anyone with ongoing ( from driver release to driver release) problems- This from a system builder who has been troubleshooting these cards since last September (6 returns from new builds, 4 returns from upgrades/swap outs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back