Catalyst 11.6 brings 'Steady Video' feature, stiffs Intel owners

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AMD's latest software suite is now available, delivering snappier GPU performance, introducing new features and stomping various bugs. Considering Duke Nukem Forever just shipped, many expected Catalyst 11.6 to contain some DNF-related updates, but the title isn't mentioned in today's release notes. Nonetheless, Radeon HD 6000 series owners can expect a 5-10% speed gain when running certain configurations of Crysis, F1 2010, Far Cry 2, H.A.W.X., and Unigine OpenGL tests.

Accompanying those optimizations is a nifty post-processing feature dubbed "Steady Video." Based on AMD APP Technology, the engine uses an advanced algorithm to stabilize jittery handheld video footage -- including YouTube content. Steady Video is supported by AMD's A4, A6 and A8 Llano APUs as well as the upcoming E-300 and E-450 Zacate APUs. Folks running a Radeon HD 6000 GPU in tandem with seemingly any modern AMD CPU will also be able to experience Steady Video.

Desktop: Windows XP 32-bit | Windows XP 64-bit | Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Mobile: Windows Vista/7 32-bit | Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Unfortunately, it seems Intel customers have been shafted as Catalyst 11.6's release notes make it abundantly clear that Steady Video is "currently" an AMD-exclusive feature. It's unclear if that will change in the future, but considering the prevalence of Intel's CPUs, we suspect many Radeon owners will be rallying at AMD's gates when they learn they've been stiffed on a GPU feature because of their CPU choice. Download links are above and some noteworthy fixes are below:

Resolved issues for Windows 7:

• Flashing titles are no longer displayed when playing F1 2010 in a Crossfire environment.
  • Video playback no longer intermittently displays a black screen when using Windows Media Player.
  • Graphics and Gaming scores are now correctly computed in the Windows Performance Index.
  • A BSOD error is no longer generated randomly when Crossfire is enabled/disabled after video/LCD overdrive settings are changed on HD 6900 series products.
  • Crossfire is now correctly enabled when playing The Witcher 2 on HD 6800 series products. (when used with AMD Catalyst 11.5 CAP 5 release)
  • Screen tearing is no longer randomly seen when playing Riddick 2 at high performance settings and with Crossfire enabled.
  • The game Kings Bounty now renders correctly.
  • The game Empire Total War now no longer displays random flickering and in-game buttons display correctly.
  • Google Earth now performs smoothly in OpenGL mode.
  • Crossfire is now correctly enabled when playing Cars 2 on HD 6900 series products.
  • Sid Meyers Civilization V no longer displays intermittent graphical corruption when played in DirectX 10 mode in a Crossfire environment.
  • Heaven 2.1 running in DirectX 11 mode no longer displays intermittent graphical corruption in a Crossfire environment.
  • Crossfire is correctly enabled when playing LEGO : Pirates of the Caribbean on HD6800 and HD 6900 series products.
  • Poor performance is no longer experienced while Playing Heroes of Newerth and when the cursor is moved to the top right or bottom right corner of the screen.
  • Mouse cursor corruption (in the upper right portion of the screen) should be resolved

Permalink to story.

It's common for drivers releases to include performance improvements, bug fixes, multi-GPU profiles etc. for new PC games.

AMD wouldn't omit Intel CPU's if their upcoming Bulldozer CPU's were any good.

What a joke. C'mon AMD, we have still given you our money and we deserve the full product.

Guest said:
Not cool AMD.
Intel customer have the video encoding technology thanks to the recent Sandy Bridge chips which encodes HD video in mere seconds; how on earth are you complaining that you are missing out?

Not cool, whingers, not cool…

I really don't see the big deal in all this. AMD has a hard enough time paying the bills and they certainly don't have enough to spend on R&D for Intel hardware. I can imagine may release an update in the future for Intel but I think they needed a proof of concept and to get this thing otu the door. Again, I don't think this small feature is a big deal and they have to cover their bottom line. Intel can easily cover theirs and may even spend their money to compete.

Intel customer have the video encoding technology thanks to the recent Sandy Bridge chips which encodes HD video in mere seconds; how on earth are you complaining that you are missing out?
Not cool, whingers, not cool…
You could argue that Sandy Bridge's AVC encoder is a 3mm² component of the Sandy Bridge CPU ( i.e. part of the hardware), while AMD's Steady Video is a software lockout. If you're going to make comparisons at least get the analogy correct (hint: Nvidia PhysX). 1 out of 10 trolling effort PJ.

yRaz said:
I really don't see the big deal in all this. AMD has a hard enough time paying the bills and they certainly don't have enough to spend on R&D for Intel hardware. I can imagine may release an update in the future for Intel but I think they needed a proof of concept and to get this thing otu the door. Again, I don't think this small feature is a big deal and they have to cover their bottom line. Intel can easily cover theirs and may even spend their money to compete.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I have an AMD card in my computer, I shouldn't have to be forced to also have an AMD CPU in order to take advantage of the new GPU driver features.

This is as much of a **** move as when Nvidia disabled PhysX on computers that also had an ATI video card.

Techspot is the one who said intel owners were stiffed.

AFAIK AMD hasn't said anything about it yet. Maybe they just don't have it ready yet for intel cpu's? Who knows... no use crying over it.

So... Just to recap... AMD releases a new feature that works on its CPU+GPU or APU hardware (you know, the only hardware they actually have control over), and people are whining that Intel users are left out? Seriously? I know that a false sense of entitlement is par for the course these days, but I'm still amazed at how fast people jump up to yell foul or whine about being left out.

AMD developed the feature on chips and tech they know intimately, and have complete control over. If they choose to devote time and money into resources for porting it to Intel systems, I'd say that is THEIR perogative, not some inalienable right of the consumer.

Techspot is the one who said intel owners were stiffed.
AFAIK AMD hasn't said anything about it yet. .
Except in the release notes for the driver you mean?
and...
*Now missing from the official release notes, but captured for posterity by nearly every tech site.

Well, AMD did say that "currently" it's an AMD exclusive feature based on AMD APP tech. This could mean that it will come to Intel CPU's at a later date.

Anyway, I'm growing tired of all the bugs I've been experiencing on my GTX580\GTX480 cards running the latest drivers. I haven't used a Radeon GPU since ATI's X800 series, but I'm almost positive my next GPU will be from AMD.

AMD's driver team has really stepped up their game.

By Radeon 6000 series this means that the 6770 (Juniper) is included right? So this covers those of us still using 5770s?

Don't worry, their "Steady Video" feature is broken on their own hardware, so Intel users probably aren't missing out on much. Just do a Google Search for Steady Video Disabled or a similar phrase. I'm one of the people affected by it.

It is working for some lucky people, but a number of us on AMD's latest hardware are getting stiffed, too.

What about my nvidia physix card I can't use with my AMD card without using modified drivers? Personally, I don't care if Intel users are left out - and I am an Intel user.

What about my nvidia physix card I can't use with my AMD card without using modified drivers?
DEFCON GREEN..er... RED!!!...trolling fanboy alert

If you actually owned a PPU then you'd realise Nvidia has never made one. ALL PhysX (not physix) PPU's are of Ageia origin (tech supplied by NovodeX). Nvidia incorporated the software into their own drivers after acquiring Ageia.

Of course, if you'd have bothered to read the thread you would see that the analogy between Steady Video and PhysX had already been made by someone....ah, yes- it was me.

-1 out of 10 for the trolling effort ( you'll need to pull out all the stops to catch PinothyJ)

wait, all the uproar over "steady video"? AMD did not enable it in this driver release for Intel CPU's so the disgruntled shake a fist and cry foul? as if AMD somehow has robbed you of some entitlement? steady video? really??

go on, take your toys and go home already.

Or I could be using a GTX260 for physX.. I of course realize the ageia cards from the past which I don't have (again GTX260)... yeah... nice troll
steady video ...still seems a little lame for you all to be crying over.

Or I could be using a GTX260 for physX..
Which is of course a graphics card that would be performing PhysX calculations through the driver, and not a dedicated PPU, as I outlined earlier.
..still seems a little lame for you all to be crying over.
I might suggest you re-read the thread. There seems to be more discussion on the relative merits of Duke Nukem Forever than disgruntled Intel CPU owners. My own posts are aimed at distinguishing hardware from a software implementation...and adding to a Guest's (amateur PR flak) knowledge base.
The most reasonable and prevailing opinion actually seems fairly pragmatic...
AMD developed the feature on chips and tech they know intimately, and have complete control over. If they choose to devote time and money into resources for porting it to Intel systems, I'd say that is THEIR perogative, not some inalienable right of the consumer.
A sentiment I would agree wholeheartedly with. Companys are in the business of making money and protecting their investment. Why should AMD invest R&D funds to benefit a rival ? This is no different from Nvidia locking out PhysX, Intel writing their compilers with Intel CPU's in mind, or any other proprietry tech ( Eyefinity, Gaming Surround, LucidLogix Hydra, AVIVO et al).

Pfff, stop whining! Get an AMD APU! The future is Fusion...
Bah, you really want Sandy Bridge to run something from AMD?

Back