Catalyst 11.8 delivers 20% performance boost in Black Ops, more

By Matthew
Aug 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Released late last month in preview form for 64-bit Windows 7 users, AMD's Catalyst 11.8 driver suite has now received Microsoft's nod of approval. If you installed the prerelease build…

Read the whole story
  2. DeliciousPie

DeliciousPie TechSpot Member Posts: 43

Drivers that make a noticable difference are always nice.

We all know how important it is to keep them up to date, but when you can actually feel a change, well, that kicks ***.
  3. these drivers come a day after i upgrade to a 2500K and P8P67 EVO with two 6950 2GB's... life is good.
  4. blimp01

blimp01 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 157

i wish nvidia would make performance increases
  5. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 783   +85

Forgive me for the question but I don't exactly understand the relationship between frames and fps games. I don't mean it in exactly that way but it's just hard to explain. I play emulators online. And for the one that I play the most, 59.95-60 is the desired amount of fps.
  6. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,847   +62

I think you are speaking of :

FPS = Frames per second

...and

FPS= First person Shooter
  7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,699   +586

That pretty much goes for FPS (First person shooters) also. A minimum of ~30 fps gives the impression to the human eye of relative smoothness. An average of ~60 is in line with the more common monitor refresh rate.

In other news...startling new evidence of inter-species breeding. Film at eleven
  8. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 783   +85

Yeah I probably shouldn't have abbreviated both of them.
  9. Id really like to update to these drivers, but everytime i update it causes my crossfire to stop working. To fix it, i have to remove 1 card, reinstall drivers, shut down PC, install second card again, reinstall drivers, reboot. Such a pain. Next card will be green. Will never run multi card setup again.
  10. these drivers also upped my WEI score for graphics. kudos to AMD.
  11. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 458   +65

Crossfire and SLI have always been a pain in the *** it took your hundreds of dollars in hardware to figure this out?

Do you not read internet forums?
  12. Holy crap your right. My WEI went from 7.7 to 7.8 on graphics. Way to go AMD!!!
  13. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,390   +16

Meh, was hoping this would be resolved :( .

14. Oh wow. I thought that was just a heat issue. Pain in the *** that is. Hasn't happened since update though.
  15. 03504bbl

03504bbl Newcomer, in training

I recently updated to catalyst 11.8. I fully uninstalled the previous version and ran driver sweeper in safe mode before installing 11.8. I didn't run in to any problems during installation, however my pc will not run correctly with this version of drivers. I got a noticeable performance boost in Portal 2, but got a serious performance drop in Black Ops. Not to mention I ended up having to downgrade because these drivers caused DirectX to crash constantly, no matter what game I tried, and even caused BSOD's from some of the driver's .sys files. I have never had any issue when updating my catalyst drivers and cant find any posts on the net with the problems I'm having. Is anyone out there having these issues?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.