CCleaner registry scan result

Drumma

Hi,
First of all I hope that my questions are posted in the correct section.
I have just run the CCleaner registry scan and it yielded the following result which I do not understand. Is it malware or just a harmless remnant of a previously un-installed program?

SMax4.Exe HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppPaths\SMax4.Exe

SMax4.Wiz.Exe HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppPaths\SMax4.Wiz.Exe

SMWizard.Exe HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppPaths\ SMWizard.Exe

I chose to 'Fix All Issues' without backing up the registry first, a wise decision or not?
Thanks for your help in advance,
Drumma.

Hi, I have used CCleaner since the Windows 95/98 days, and use it most days I put the pc on.
Never had any problems with it that I can think of....... but I do always back up the registry fix, when the option appears.
It's a very safe program, and does a good job.
Can't help with the exact registry paths you posted, but my experience with Ccleaner would say that you won't have any problems, it will only show up 'safe' keys to delete.
These registry 'cleaners' are not really needed today, as Windows does a better job now than it did with XP, and you could just use the 'Cleaner' part of Ccleaner, and not use the 'registry' part at all.

Mike 1959,
Thank you for your reply. I run CCleaner about once a month generally and the Piriform Defraggler every three months or so.
I have since found out that the registry paths I posted belong to the SoundMax program and are,as you pointed out,not a threat of any kind.

Case closed.

All the best,
Drumma.

Good to know, but what is it and why does it appear in CCleaner over and OVER? That is the problem!

Good to know, but what is it and why does it appear in CCleaner over and OVER? That is the problem!
This is a wild guess, and it's just to give you some sort of an answer.
CCleaner perhaps doesn't have the registry entry on file and views it as superfluous. The Sound program may reinstall it when the interface is used. The entry may not be necessary when the sound program is merely running.

As I said,. these are just guesses, but not uncommon program behaviors.

Mike 1959,
Thank you for your reply. I run CCleaner about once a month generally and the Piriform Defraggler every three months or so.
I have since found out that the registry paths I posted belong to the SoundMax program and are,as you pointed out,not a threat of any kind.

Case closed.

All the best,
Drumma.
FWIW, I use CCleaner each time I close Firefox. I use Firefox's private browsing mode without exception. Yet each time I close the browser, CCleaner manages to find stray cookies which Firefox misses.

I believe Windows 7 has defrag protocols automatically in place, so defragmentation could possibly be unnecessary. (This obviously assumes you're running 7). You may want to check my facts.

Last edited:
Back