CD drive will read some CDs, but not others

My laptop CD drive (which, according to the Device Manager, is an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7580S and is working properly and is up to date) will accept some CDs but not others. It doesn't seem to have trouble with a music CD, but with games its a little more erratic. Some are instantly read and work perfectly. For others, the drive just buzzes on and off really loudly for ten or so minutes before identifying the CD as blank (occasionally it gets it right, but not often). I don't think it's a problem of scratched discs - one of the discs that it won't read is practically flawless.

Just some data - it will read Dragon Age (only DVD compatible) and the Simpsons movie, but it won't read Morrowind GOTY edition (only DVD compatible). I'm really at a loss - I tested MW on another comp and it worked fine.

Thanks for any help.

Hmmm...I've had this before myself, with a DVD burner and i didn't end well i'm afraid. Eventually mine just stopped reading altogether.

You might me lucky though, sounds like the laser might do with a clean here...Maybe getting one of them cleaning packs that come with a special cd to clean the laser might bring it back.

Otherwise, it might be down to the laptop repair shop Ted.

Back