CD-ROM drive not responding

mv670

Hey guys, I need some help. My cd-rom drive is not reading any cds or dvds. When I go to the device manager it says the following.

"A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)"

I am running Windows 7
Cd-rom model : HL-DT-ST DvdRam GH60N SCSI.

Thanks guys.

Did you recently install some virtual drive software?

You could try uninstalling the drive through device manager and then rebooting, its certainly not going to hurt and it could be a simple fix. If you installed something like Daemon Tools or VCD then that still shouldn't have happened, but the fix may be a little more complicated.

Alright, I uninstalled it just like you told me. Still isn't working. I've had this problem for a few months I just never bothered to find a solution. I can't recall if there is some virtual drive software.

You may have a corrupt/bad filter driver.

Windows device drivers are layered. Filters are like device driver "addon" parts (think of them like adding upper/lower layers in a cake). See if this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]. Is worth a shot

/* edit */
Ooops. i see SINGX beat me to the punch. (that MS KB is also referenced in that post above)

Trying it right now. clicked view report "The drive is experiencing Plug and Play issue"
Interesting...." windows did not detect a cd,dvd,or bd drive. It might be unplugged or disconnected"

Will update you guys.

Edit: It says "windows has detected a device error with this drive and will keep checking for problems"

Still not working.

I am in the process of removing the filters. In the regedit... why do I have Controlset01 Controlset02 folders and which one do I delete the filter from....They are both the same.

If you use the regjump command provided in [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post] it will take you directly to the right key for CD/DVD devices

If you're navigating the registry by hand, you only need modify ControlSet (NOT ControlSet01 or ControlSet02). fyi...ControlSet is current registry settings. ControlSet01 and ControlSet02 are Windows' backup copies of prior settings. Windows only uses the backups if you tried something like a Restore to Last Known Good Configuration

/* edit */
So if you navigate by hand, you only need go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and delete any upper and lower filters. Reboot.

Great! But one heads up.

Removing all the filters removed the bad one. But there may have been other 3rd party filters you need (e.g. iTunes often installs CD/DVD filters which also sometimes go awry!)

So if you have any CD/DVD products that don't seem to work right after removing the filters just uninstall/reinstall them will get them to reinstall their filters (if they use them)

Back