TechSpot

Censorship trend

By benken2202001
Mar 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Lately I've been noticing a poor trend on TechSpot where comments on articles are being deleted or "censored." From what I've gathered, most deletions are due to the ToS found at http://www.techspot.com/terms.html
    Are there any other reasons for which posts will be removed? Is it per the author's discretion? For example; a comment reflects badly upon the author, so he/she removes it.

Oftentimes I post as a Guest due to the nature of my work, perhaps that was the issue?

2. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,058   +645

As far as I'm concerned we only remove spammy or duplicate messages. Can you give more precise examples?

3. Jay Pfoutz

Jay Pfoutz Malware Helper Posts: 4,282   +49

Just my short input...I frequently see flaming attacks that are censored, yes. But, usually, none of us with moderation powers end up deleting random comments (I double-check all the deleted comments, sometimes). Most of the time, if anything, they are just edited to remove potential argumentative situations (like sexual-based humor, libelous attacks, copyright/plagiarizing content, etc.).

Keep in mind the following in the ToS:

I usually run through a bit to look for spam that might not have been caught, such as the sneaky pie21 spammers. I also look for flamers, but otherwise, the responsibility lies on the moderators. We don't have a flame filter, so we've to deal with that.

SNGX1275 and cliffordcooley like this.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Maybe take note of when you see it happen next time and post back here, because I agree with Julio and Jay that I haven't seen this happening.

Like Jay, I also like to check deleted comments (mods can see a comment has been deleted, and click on it to view what it said before deletion) out of curiosity and also simply to 'double-check' that there is no personal vendetta in play. Self-policing if you will. Also, I will note that this, afaik is not a stated policy that mods do that, but Jay and I both have said we do that anyway, I suspect other mods do as well then.

Jay Pfoutz likes this.
  5. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,929   +186

Yea just like SNGX I usually look over deleted posts as well...

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,690   +1,879

An' I beez countin' ma blessins' about that.

OTOH, now how are all the English lit majors going to feed their families, if they can't find work...? ;)

7. urostor

urostor TS Rookie

Please, tell me why my guide about making internal and external speakers in laptop work together using ASIO was deleted. I've put a bit of work into that. If it cannot be restored, please send me a copy of it by any means.

It was in the "Audio and Video" section of the forum.

Yes, I used the "Search" feature, and no, nobody has come up with a solution like mine. The usual response was "It's impossible".

You're not really encouraging new users to participate by politics like this.

8. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

Urostor, it's been restored.

Julio Franco and urostor like this.
  9. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,058   +645

Any idea how that could have been removed?

10. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,210   +424

I do this as well

11. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

Julio, I was the one who deleted it.