TechSpot

Changing boot drive in a dual OS boot setup

By gott1rott
Mar 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Ill try to explain this as best I can. I have 2 Windows OS installed on 2 different hard drives in my pc and get the option for choose which OS I want to boot when I turn on my pc. Drive 1 is the first drive I installed an OS on and drive 2 the second. I'm pretty sure drive 1 is dying so my question is, is drive 2's OS boot linked to drive 1 and if so, is there a way to boot from drive 2 instead of drive 1? What I am afraid of is drive 1 failing completely and then not being able to boot into Windows on drive 2.
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,490   +292

First question: Yes.

Second question: yes

3rd question/point: Yes, valid concern. What will happen is you remove (or drive 1 dies completely) and you won't be able to boot into the OS on drive 2. BUT, if we are talking about Windows, which I think we are, you can boot into a recovery mode and fix it. Its usually a fixmbr command, and I've done it so few times I don't remember the details. What Windows OS are we talking about (because I think it matters on how you get to the fixmbr moment). Tell us that and we can help you.
  3. gott1rott

gott1rott Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 38

Thanks for the response. The OS I'm running is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. That goes for both drives.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,490   +292

Ok. What you want to do is boot from the 7 install disk and choose "repair your computer".

Then that will give you a few options, you want to go to command prompt.

Then you want to type this: bootrec.exe /FixMbr

That should do it, remove the disk and reboot. (you can just press reset or hold down the power button).
  5. gott1rott

gott1rott Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 38

Ahh ok. Thanks so much.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.