Changing from amd athlon xp 2600+

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie.benstead

I have an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ CPU in my system, and was thinking about changing this to a higher Athlon XP. Is the highest it goes 3600+ or was it 3200+?
Also what is the core speed or 3200? 3600?.
My mobo is ABIT AN7 nForce2. Will this support a 3200? 3600?

The fastest available AthlonXP is 3200+ (which is hard to find pretty much anywhere). You'd need to have PC3200 Ram as I think your motherboard can support that CPU.

The ram I have is 1gb of PC2700. What difference would the RAM make, also what differences would I notice with the new 3200+ CPU?

It depends on the 2600+ that you have. There are different versions running at different clockspeeds, etc.

Download CPU-z & post screenshots of what it says.

Cant upload screen shots. But dont worry. I have a Abit AN7 Motherboard. Will this support an AMD Athlon xp 3200+ CPU?
Also the CPU I am using has a 64kb cache while the 3200+ had a 512kb cache, so oviously the 3200+ is bigger. But what does the cache do?
Also the cpu I have has got a 166.4 FSB while the 3200+ has a 400. Again what does the FSB do?
I know there proberly stupid questions but thanks for the help guys...

Also while my motherboard support PC3200 RAM?

For an explanation of l2 caching see HERE.

Your current cpu does indeed have an fsb of 166mhz(333mhz effective), while the AMD Athlon xp3200+ has an fsb of 200mhz(400mhz effective)

You would obviously need to change your current ram pc2700 to pc3200 to accomodate the faster fsb of the cpu. If you don`t change your ram, then using the Athlon xp3200+ at a fsb of 200mhz would mean that your present ram would be overclocked, and may cause stability problems.

Your mobo does support a 200mhz fsb, so you shouldn`t have any problems.

You may have to update the bios, check with your mobo manufacturers website for details.

Regards Howard :) :)

Thanks for that. I tried to update BIOS once before. I got a program I opened and it just closed itself. And the other said DO NOT RUN IN WINDOWS so I closed it. How do you update BIOS properly?

I only said you may have to update your bios.

What I mean is don`t bother updating the bios unless it is absolutely necessary.

Instructions for updating your bios can be found HERE.

Regards Howard :)

You can't run a 3200+ with PC2700 Ram, you'll have to upgrade to PC3200. If you decide to keep the PC2700 & do the upgrade, you'll have lower performance then you do now.

Other things to consider - Check your CPU cooler

If you buy an OEM 3200+ check that you current cooler will be powerful enough to cool the XP3200+ which runs much hotter than you old processor. You will need new memory (PC3200). Buy at least 512MB of DDR 3200 in 2 pairs of 256Mb so you get Dula channel mode.
You will need to make sure your PSU is 350W minimum.

msmith4000 said:
If you buy an OEM 3200+
The best way to get a 2500+ faked into being a 3200+. I do believe someone has had that problem here not so long ago. Buy retail boxed parts, or don't buy them.

Am finding it hard to find a Athlon XP 3200+, anyone know anywhere. Also how much should this cost me, cheapest I find it is like £90, I thought it would be alot cheaper then that...

Whatever you do. Don`t buy an OEM cpu. You could be asking for trouble.

Boxed retail is what you should look for.

Didou has already pointed out, that the easiest way to get a fake cpu is to buy oem.

As far as ram goes. I would recommend either Kingston, or Corsair.

For 1gig of pc3200 you would be spending around the £90 mark.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back