TechSpot

Changing from amd athlon xp 2600+

By jamie.benstead
Aug 28, 2005
  1. I have an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ CPU in my system, and was thinking about changing this to a higher Athlon XP. Is the highest it goes 3600+ or was it 3200+?
    Also what is the core speed or 3200? 3600?.
    My mobo is ABIT AN7 nForce2. Will this support a 3200? 3600?

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

The fastest available AthlonXP is 3200+ (which is hard to find pretty much anywhere). You'd need to have PC3200 Ram as I think your motherboard can support that CPU.

3. jamie.benstead

jamie.benstead TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

The ram I have is 1gb of PC2700. What difference would the RAM make, also what differences would I notice with the new 3200+ CPU?

4. Didou

It depends on the 2600+ that you have. There are different versions running at different clockspeeds, etc.

Download CPU-z & post screenshots of what it says.

5. jamie.benstead

Cant upload screen shots. But dont worry. I have a Abit AN7 Motherboard. Will this support an AMD Athlon xp 3200+ CPU?
    Also the CPU I am using has a 64kb cache while the 3200+ had a 512kb cache, so oviously the 3200+ is bigger. But what does the cache do?
    Also the cpu I have has got a 166.4 FSB while the 3200+ has a 400. Again what does the FSB do?
    I know there proberly stupid questions but thanks for the help guys...

Also while my motherboard support PC3200 RAM?

6. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

For an explanation of l2 caching see HERE.

Your current cpu does indeed have an fsb of 166mhz(333mhz effective), while the AMD Athlon xp3200+ has an fsb of 200mhz(400mhz effective)

You would obviously need to change your current ram pc2700 to pc3200 to accomodate the faster fsb of the cpu. If you don`t change your ram, then using the Athlon xp3200+ at a fsb of 200mhz would mean that your present ram would be overclocked, and may cause stability problems.

Your mobo does support a 200mhz fsb, so you shouldn`t have any problems.

You may have to update the bios, check with your mobo manufacturers website for details.

Regards Howard :) :)

7. jamie.benstead

Thanks for that. I tried to update BIOS once before. I got a program I opened and it just closed itself. And the other said DO NOT RUN IN WINDOWS so I closed it. How do you update BIOS properly?

8. howard_hopkinso

I only said you may have to update your bios.

What I mean is don`t bother updating the bios unless it is absolutely necessary.

Instructions for updating your bios can be found HERE.

Regards Howard :)

9. Didou

You can't run a 3200+ with PC2700 Ram, you'll have to upgrade to PC3200. If you decide to keep the PC2700 & do the upgrade, you'll have lower performance then you do now.

10. msmith4000

msmith4000 TS Rookie

Other things to consider - Check your CPU cooler

If you buy an OEM 3200+ check that you current cooler will be powerful enough to cool the XP3200+ which runs much hotter than you old processor. You will need new memory (PC3200). Buy at least 512MB of DDR 3200 in 2 pairs of 256Mb so you get Dula channel mode.
    You will need to make sure your PSU is 350W minimum.

11. Didou

The best way to get a 2500+ faked into being a 3200+. I do believe someone has had that problem here not so long ago. Buy retail boxed parts, or don't buy them.

12. jamie.benstead

Am finding it hard to find a Athlon XP 3200+, anyone know anywhere. Also how much should this cost me, cheapest I find it is like £90, I thought it would be alot cheaper then that...

13. howard_hopkinso

Look HERE . It`s only a little below £90, but it is available, and boxed retail, with free shipping.

Regards Howard :)

14. Didou

Stock overdue ?

15. howard_hopkinso

Hey Didou.

I swear that when I posted the link, it was available. Maybe jamie`s bought it already? :p

Regards Howard :grinthumb

16. jamie.benstead

17. howard_hopkinso

Whatever you do. Don`t buy an OEM cpu. You could be asking for trouble.

Boxed retail is what you should look for.

Didou has already pointed out, that the easiest way to get a fake cpu is to buy oem.

As far as ram goes. I would recommend either Kingston, or Corsair.

For 1gig of pc3200 you would be spending around the £90 mark.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.