Cheapest video card I can get to completely max out video settings in WoW?

By Ruu
Dec 23, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

Cobbling together a new build very slowly and am undecided about the video card.

Mobo: Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    Proc: Intel E8600
    RAM: 2 x 2 GB DDR2 1066

Everything else is just a mish-mash that I haven't quite decided on yet---I'm sort of Frankensteining this thing together as I go.

My question:

My monitor supports 1240 x 1024, max. I plan to get a nice big monitor and a nice powerhouse of a card much, much later, so right now, I want the cheapest thing that I can get that will still let me turn up the eye candy in WoW. Which card should I be looking at? HD3850? 3870? 4850? Haven't paid that much attention to nVidia's offerings, either.

I have no qualms buying off eBay or buying second-hand, as I have always had very good luck with that, so feel free to suggest something that's not on the market anymore.

I don't even know where to start, so any suggestion(s) would be helpful.

Thanks for reading!

~ Ruu

Also posted this in the Video Cards forum, so if there's a problem, please delete this thread here, and my apologies.
  2. poteljito

poteljito Newcomer, in training Posts: 42

WoW eyecandy? xD Didn't notice that it has it lol. Go with the hd4850 or hd3870. Best buy solution IMO.
  3. davx

davx Newcomer, in training

I suggest you a geforce 8500gt , its enough to play Wow and its cheap (30€-40€)
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,274   +259

They've done a bit of a tune up to the graphics engine after the WotLK update - I've even noticed on my daughter's machine which has a Q6600 + 8800GT that it can drop below 60fps sometimes. I run Vsync @ 1920x1200 on her machine though so dropping the rez will help some. Also, I don't run the shadows at maximum detail because I noticed a difference in performance when I did. I also noticed on my machine that if I ran max detail on shadows there were lots of glitches. I've heard this is due to problems with the new shadowing mechanics and SLI configurations - but apparently it doesn't affect everyone set up this way. My buddy has a 4850 (I've never seen it being used) and raves about the performance of that card.
  5. BMfan

BMfan TechSpot Guru Posts: 471   +47

I would say if you can afford it go with the 4850,it's newer and performs slightly better than the 3870.
  6. Ruu

Ruu Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 25

Yeah, I've noticed that the new engine is very sparkly and pretty and a total resource hog. ;)

Hmm, that's interesting to note. Though I've noticed that Dalaran seems to particularly loathe everyone in it. I also suspect that there's something about the AGP drivers that causes the whole area to wildly bug out of control.

Would a 3870 not be able to handle the shadows very well? The 4850s seem to be such power hogs; I was actually leaning toward the 3870s, but that's 2 votes now for the 4850s. I guess it's not that much more money, though. Mostly I was considering that whatever card I get now won't be carried over to my new 30" screen that I intend to get in about... oh, a year. Lol. ;)

Any other opinions? Thanks for the ideas so far!

~ Ruu
  7. poteljito

poteljito Newcomer, in training Posts: 42

30'' screen? If you could please explain. Why on earth would you buy it? For that screen size (bigger resolution) you will have to have a good graphics card.
  8. Ruu

Ruu Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 25

Well, I'm obviously not decided on a 30" screen, lol. But 22"-24" seems to be the "sweet spot" right now, so I think it's a safe assumption to move up to ~30" in a few years.

My point is, my current 17" isn't even widescreen, so I don't want to spend any more extra money on a good graphics card than I have to. In a few years, I will update my graphics card AND my monitor, so right now, I'm looking for the cheapest, most low-power card that can handle max video settings at WoW (it's the only graphics-intense thing that I do).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.