TechSpot

Cheapest video card I can get to completely max out video settings in WoW?

By Ruu
Dec 24, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

Cobbling together a new build very slowly and am undecided about the video card.

Mobo: Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    Proc: Intel E8600
    RAM: 2 x 2 GB DDR2 1066

Everything else is just a mish-mash that I haven't quite decided on yet---I'm sort of Frankensteining this thing together as I go.

My question:

My monitor supports 1240 x 1024, max. I plan to get a nice big monitor and a nice powerhouse of a card much, much later, so right now, I want the cheapest thing that I can get that will still let me turn up the eye candy in WoW. Which card should I be looking at? HD3850? 3870? 4850? Haven't paid that much attention to nVidia's offerings, either.

I have no qualms buying off eBay or buying second-hand, as I have always had very good luck with that, so feel free to suggest something that's not on the market anymore.

I don't even know where to start, so any suggestion(s) would be helpful.

Thanks for reading!

~ Ruu

Also posted this in the PC Gaming forum---if there's a problem, go ahead and delete that thread over there, and my apologies.
  2. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,909

WoW doesn't take much power. My friend plays it at full settings 50+ FPS on an Athlon 64 3200+, 8400GS combo at 1280x1024. I'd say go for a 9600GT. They're cheap, and they'll utterly slaughter WoW.

HD 4830 would get the job done even better if you can afford it. They go for about $130, if I remember correctly.
  3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

The HD 4670 will easily let you do that for <$100.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.