TechSpot

Cheapest video card I can get to completely max out video settings in WoW?

By Ruu
Dec 24, 2008
  1. Hi all,

Cobbling together a new build very slowly and am undecided about the video card.

Mobo: Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    Proc: Intel E8600
    RAM: 2 x 2 GB DDR2 1066

Everything else is just a mish-mash that I haven't quite decided on yet---I'm sort of Frankensteining this thing together as I go.

My question:

My monitor supports 1240 x 1024, max. I plan to get a nice big monitor and a nice powerhouse of a card much, much later, so right now, I want the cheapest thing that I can get that will still let me turn up the eye candy in WoW. Which card should I be looking at? HD3850? 3870? 4850? Haven't paid that much attention to nVidia's offerings, either.

I have no qualms buying off eBay or buying second-hand, as I have always had very good luck with that, so feel free to suggest something that's not on the market anymore.

I don't even know where to start, so any suggestion(s) would be helpful.

Thanks for reading!

~ Ruu

Also posted this in the PC Gaming forum---if there's a problem, go ahead and delete that thread over there, and my apologies.

2. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,388

WoW doesn't take much power. My friend plays it at full settings 50+ FPS on an Athlon 64 3200+, 8400GS combo at 1280x1024. I'd say go for a 9600GT. They're cheap, and they'll utterly slaughter WoW.

HD 4830 would get the job done even better if you can afford it. They go for about $130, if I remember correctly.

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

The HD 4670 will easily let you do that for <$100.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.