Chevrolet's Silverado EV sold out in 12 minutes, and reservations keep coming in

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? General Motors as part of its CES 2022 virtual keynote this week unveiled a reimagined, fully electric version of its Silverado full-size pickup truck and it didn’t take long for consumers to stamp it with their seal of approval.

GM CEO Mary Barra in a recent interview with Bloomberg said the RST First Edition sold out in just 12 minutes, adding that reservations are still coming in.

The 2024 Silverado EV is powered by GM’s Ultium platform and will be available in two configurations at launch. The RST First Edition for the consumer market will afford an estimated 400 miles of range on a single charge along with 10.2kW of offboard power as well as options like four-wheel steering, a fixed glass roof and a 17-inch infotainment system.

Power wise, you’re looking at 664 horsepower and 780 ft.-lbs. of torque that’ll be good for a 0-60 mph jaunt in less than 4.5 seconds.

A fleet-oriented work truck model is also in the works and will start at $39,990. The RST First Edition will be a good bit pricier when it arrives in the fall of 2023, with a reported starting price of $105,000.

GM also has the new EV Hummer in its lineup, but it isn’t the only automaker finding success with electric pickups. Ford recently said it would be nearly doubling production capacity for its F-150 Lightning to meet surging demand as consumers continue to show a propensity for modern electric vehicles.

Permalink to story.

With the world starting to work mostly from home, pick-up trucks with over 600hp are becoming an absolute necessity. I mean, how else would you sneak out for groceries these days?

My car is parked by the house most of the time now, I prefer a bicycle, to counter the boring and unhealthy environment.

With the world starting to work mostly from home, pick-up trucks with over 600hp are becoming an absolute necessity. I mean, how else would you sneak out for groceries these days?

My car is parked by the house most of the time now, I prefer a bicycle, to counter the boring and unhealthy environment.
where do you live, because thats not the case where I am, everybody still driving in like normal.

Ford started it, Chevy continued it .... as with buying vehicles 60 years ago, you would order them exactly the way you wanted them and the dealer would call you when they were delivered. No down payment required because dealers knew anything "on the lot" would be snapped up by those that didn't want to wait. The difference? Back then they would build them on demand, not limit the supply to only so many builds per year .....

where do you live, because thats not the case where I am, everybody still driving in like normal.
This is the case for me in San Diego. Our RTO date was pushed back until at least mid-February, and my wife tells me the freeways have been almost congestion-free.

Ford started it, Chevy continued it .... as with buying vehicles 60 years ago, you would order them exactly the way you wanted them and the dealer would call you when they were delivered. No down payment required because dealers knew anything "on the lot" would be snapped up by those that didn't want to wait. The difference? Back then they would build them on demand, not limit the supply to only so many builds per year .....
Right now, they have no choice but to limit sales because of battery supplies.

My EV is an electric unicycle (it's a wheel with 2 footplates) and has a range of about 50 miles, costs about $0.20 to recharge and happily cruises at 30mph. As a city dweller, I just push it out my front door, ride to my destination and then walk into the shop/office/coffee house and just pretend it's luggage. Obviously if I have to take the freeway or if it's raining or if I just want to experience traffic jams again then I take the car.

My EV is an electric unicycle (it's a wheel with 2 footplates) and has a range of about 50 miles, costs about $0.20 to recharge and happily cruises at 30mph. As a city dweller, I just push it out my front door, ride to my destination and then walk into the shop/office/coffee house and just pretend it's luggage. Obviously if I have to take the freeway or if it's raining or if I just want to experience traffic jams again then I take the car.
If it were not for the fact that your "EV" is a unicycle, I would say you are living the life of George Jetson. :laughing:

I'd like to see some statistics relating to this "working from home" idea. I have had at least ten jobs in my working life. Only one could have been done (not very efficiently) from home.

Why do people go out and buy a first year model of any new vehicle? To top that off, they go place reservations for a vehicle that hasn't even been produced yet. Good luck if you ever even get your reservation filled. Then have fun with all the bugs and issues that a first model year vehicle will come with.

Why do people go out and buy a first year model of any new vehicle? To top that off, they go place reservations for a vehicle that hasn't even been produced yet. Good luck if you ever even get your reservation filled. Then have fun with all the bugs and issues that a first model year vehicle will come with.
Just like something new from Microsoft. (insert laughing smiley here)

"The RST First Edition for the consumer market will afford an estimated 400 miles of range on a single charge"____ As usual no data about the range mileage With of Without the full load capacity of the vehicle...???!!!

"The RST First Edition for the consumer market will afford an estimated 400 miles of range on a single charge"____ As usual no data about the range mileage With of Without the full load capacity of the vehicle...???!!!
The data is everywhere. Literally. All EVs are measured under the same guidelines.
It will vary in the end of course, depending on options, use and driving habit, as with smokers.

I'm actually looking for a resurgence from Chevy trucks with this.
Chevrolet\GMC Pickups have been a sorry lot for a long time now.
Just look at the TV commercials. It's been years since they talked about payload, towing capacity, or reliability. Their commercials are all about having 15 camera views to bust your Daughter's boyfriends, a Swiss army knife of a tailgate, using 4WD in a rainstorm, number of available colors and chrome packages.

Though I will say, as the father of 3 girls, the cameras' thing might have been handy.

Back