Chevy's Blazer is the latest gas-powered vehicle to get the EV treatment

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Chevrolet's midsize Blazer crossover is getting electrified. The new Chevy Blazer EV will debut as a 2024 model with multiple trim, range and drivetrain options. The FWD base model 1LT will feature 19-inch wheels and an estimated 247-mile range, but the real fun happens when you opt for the SS (Super Sport) performance trim.

This AWD variant produces up to 557 horsepower and up to 648 lb-ft of torque. In Wide Open Watts (WOW) mode, it can sprint from 0-60 mph in less than four seconds. Other premium amenities include front Brembo brakes for extra stopping power and 22-inch wheels.

All models ship standard with a 17.7-inch diagonal color touchscreen infotainment system, full LED lighting and high-speed DC fast-charging capability of up to 190 kW, enabling up to 78 miles of additional range with a quick 10-minute charge. With the hands-free start system, the driver only needs to push the brake pedal after closing the door to start the EV.

The Blazer EV joins GM's growing stable of all-electric vehicles including the Silverado EV and the insane GMC Hummer EV.

Interested parties can submit reservations for a Blazer EV from today over on Chevrolet's website. Pricing starts around $44,995 for the entry-level 1LT when it goes on sale in Q1 of 2024. The Blazer EV 2LT and RS will launch a bit earlier (next summer) starting around $47,595 and $51,995, respectively. The high-end SS model will start around $65,995 when it arrives later in 2023.

Permalink to story.

I'm back and forth on the exterior.

But that is maybe the cleanest and most attractive dashboard I have seen on an EV.

The dash is nice, but personally I'd like more physical buttons and knobs to push and rotate. That way if touch screen fails to respond some of the car functions would still be available...!

Can't believe their calling that a Blazer. It was always a full-size SUV (even the S-10 version). Does Chevy even MAKE a real SUV now?

2022 Blazer starts at $34k for bottom of the barrel options.....you're looking at $45k for a bottom of the barrel EV option. That's $11k difference.....holy crap that's a lot of extra money for a car that uses batteries.

Seeing these battery models coming out that cost 25% more than their gas cousin is crazy. If they priced the EV model the same as the gas models, I could see it as being a step in the right direction.

2022 Blazer starts at $34k for bottom of the barrel options.....you're looking at $45k for a bottom of the barrel EV option. That's $11k difference.....holy crap that's a lot of extra money for a car that uses batteries.

Seeing these battery models coming out that cost 25% more than their gas cousin is crazy. If they priced the EV model the same as the gas models, I could see it as being a step in the right direction.

The more inefficient the vehicle (SUV), the more expensive the battery. Gas tanks don't have this issue. The way to make EVs more affordable is for people to stop insisting on SUVs.

So more costly than regular gas powered version less travel time than a regular gas power version and takes way more time to charge than it takes to fuel up the gas powered version. Heck in 10 minutes in my regular gas powered car I can fuel up (full tank) go in go the the bathroom (wash hands after) then go and buy some snacks and be on the road and not worry about fueling up again for the rest of the trip.

In the EV in that ten minutes oh yea I got to maybe go to the bathroom most likely not because well I'm at a charging station and probably no bathroom could not buy snacks because most likely no place close by to walk to to go get snacks and in that ten minutes I get 78 more miles before I have to worry about finding another charging system oh maybe less because it was hot out and I used the AC and was bored so I cranked the tunes up which reduced my 78 miles to probably 48 miles.

Yep seems legit to me for sure NOTTT!! I see no benefits to any of this in the scenario I just played out here other than lining some rich guys pockets with EV money.

Can't believe their calling that a Blazer. It was always a full-size SUV (even the S-10 version). Does Chevy even MAKE a real SUV now?
Almost no SUV's are made anymore. They are mostly just crossovers. The term SUV is misused IMO.
Also, people complaining that it's too much $$ should really never buy a new car then. You can always buy a nice used ICE vehicle to get from point A to B. When energy storage technology advances along with better infrastructure, electric will be the best way to go. As far as environmental concerns go, there will always be collateral damage no matter what the technology is.

In the EV in that ten minutes oh yea I got to maybe go to the bathroom most likely not because well I'm at a charging station and probably no bathroom could not buy snacks because most likely no place close by to walk to to go get snacks and in that ten minutes I get 78 more miles before I have to worry about finding another charging system oh maybe less because it was hot out and I used the AC and was bored so I cranked the tunes up which reduced my 78 miles to probably 48 miles.
No, in the EV you didn't have to stop because you charged up at home. In fact, except for the occasional vacation travel, you NEVER have to stop to refuel.

EDIT
Did you know that a sentence and a paragraph are not the same thing? ;)

Last edited:
Back