China has a renewed plan to make a homegrown OS that could replace the need for Windows

nanoguy

Staff member
In context: China's quest for a homegrown desktop operating system isn't new. After trying for many years, the country has not yet been able to make any significant progress in that direction. Public institutions and citizens remain highly dependent on Microsoft's Windows operating system to this day, but that could change in the coming years.

According to a South China Morning Post report, the Chinese government is spearheading the development of a desktop operating system that could replace the need for American-made ones like Windows and macOS.

Kylinsoft, a state-owned China Electronics Corp. subsidiary, is leading the new effort. The company has partnered with several local organizations, such as the National Industrial Information Security Development Research Center. Its first goal is to set up an open-source code community called "openKylin" to encourage more programmers to contribute.

Currently, Windows dominates in China with a market share of 85 percent, with macOS coming in at just over six percent. There are several Linux distributions in use, but each has well below one percent market share. Kylinsoft developed Kylin Linux in collaboration with the National University of Defense Technology and can only be described as statistical noise.

It will be interesting to see if China's latest OS initiative will succeed, but chances are high that it won't. Replacing mature operating systems that have been in development for decades is a monumental task, and Chinese tech companies are known for copying the homework of their Western counterparts.

A little-known fact about Kylin is that at one point, it was over 99 percent plagiarized code from FreeBSD, something that damaged its reputation for several years. Modern versions are Linux-based, featuring a UI clearly inspired by both Windows and macOS. It even features Microsoft's horrible naming scheme of yesteryear ("Kylin V10 Service Pack 1").

Perhaps more telling is that even market researchers from China are skeptical about the new project. Liu Dingding, a veteran analyst from Beijing, told Global Times that while it will be difficult to challenge Windows and macOS. It will be even harder for China to establish an app ecosystem for a homegrown OS — a lesson Huawei has already learned in the mobile space with HarmonyOS and the AppGallery store.

Permalink to story.

The BSD license allows you to do that as long as you retain the original copyright. It basically boils down to: here's the code, do whatever you want with it. Just keep the original copyrights. Another example is TrueNas. More info on https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...bsd-and-call-themselves-a-different-os.71088/
This article is a perfect example of a low quality propaganda (unfortunately western and american). The author of this article did not even tried to hide his bias. On the contrary he exposed it without minimum journalism integrity. I noticed that it's a bad habit of him whenever he "write" an "article" about China.
I give u a more outrageous subject. About USA stealing and copying.
Like american space program stolen from V2 German rocket program (but when they stole it they called it Operation paperclip). Regardless, is a blatant stolen and copied space program. And nuclear program stolen from the same Germany too.
More recent examples: Apple do not innovate anymore for more than 5-7 years, they copy what android is doing 2-3 years ahead. Notifications, big screen on smartphones, oled screen, screen on display, dual, 3 and quad cameras copied from Huawei (do u see the irony?) etc. But hey, they claim that others copied the rounded corner rectangular shape from them. Which they "invented and own" from stone age and only Apple has "copyright" on it. (Yes, Apple sued Samsung for this and lost).
We can praise and thank to Eduard Snowden, Julian Asange, Chelsea Manning and others for exposing with proofs that USA is spying and stealing peoples information from all over the world for decades through NSA, FBI, Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel processors backdoors (the list is longer) and use it against them.
I fixed this lame propaganda disguised as an "article" with more interesting and hot topics.

Last edited:
The BSD license allows you to do that as long as you retain the original copyright. It basically boils down to: here's the code, do whatever you want with it. Just keep the original copyrights. Another example is TrueNas. More info on https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...bsd-and-call-themselves-a-different-os.71088/
This article is a perfect example of a low quality propaganda (unfortunately western and american). The author of this is article did not even tried to hide his bias. On the contrary he exposed it without minimum journalism integrity. I noticed that it's a bad habit of him whenever he "write" an "article" about China.
Like american space program stolen from V2 German rocket program (but when they stole it they called it Operation paperclip). Regardless, is a blatant stolen and copied space program. And nuclear program stolen from the same Germany too.
More recent examples: Apple do not innovate anymore for more than 5-7 years, they copy what android is doing 2-3 years ahead. Notifications, big screen on smartphones, oled screen, screen on display, dual, 3 and quad cameras copied from Huawei (do u see the irony?) etc. But hey, they claim that others copied the rounded corner rectangular shape from them. Which they "invented and own" from stone age and only Apple has "copyright" on it. (Yes, Apple sued Samsung for this and lost).
We can thank to Eduard Snowden, Julian Asange, Chelsea Manning and others for exposing with proofs that USA is spying and stealing peoples information from all over the world for decades through NSA, FBI, Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel processors backdoors (the list is longer) and use it against them.
I fixed this lame propaganda disguised as an "article" with more interesting and hot topics.
Glad to see Chinese propaganda here on TS too now. According to you USA = bad guys who steal everything, China = good guys, because if USA steals then it's ok for China to steal too!

Glad to see Chinese propaganda here on TS too now. According to you USA = bad guys who steal everything, China = good guys, because if USA steals then it's ok for China to steal too!
Stealing is bad regardless of country. This I pointed out.
If u r an american u can correct this bad american nightmare by vote, making laws for the citizens own good, not for unscrupulous corporations, and stop NSA, FBI, Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel spying and stealing peoples information all over the world, and use it against them including USA citizens. EU started to make laws for this since 4-5 years.
Also claiming that Kylin was over 99 percent plagiarized code from FreeBSD (free word is part of FREEBSD, do u see the irony?) and using this as an argument and that is somehow bad, is only a weak argument which do not stand out.
As I concluded with arguments this is a low quality article overall, so no point in arguing anymore.

Last edited:
Also claiming that Kylin was over 99 percent plagiarized code from FreeBSD (free word is part of FREEBSD, do u see the irony?) and using this as an argument and that is somehow bad, is only a weak argument which do not stand out.

The intention of pointing out that Kylin was 99.4% plagiarized is to confirm the fact that there was virtually zero effort made by the CCP in any development. But they decided to literally copy an existing iteration, reskin it, rename it, and call it their own.

It's embarrassing to the utmost, and is a perfect example of how far behind China is. The fact that the word "FREE" is included in FREEBSD is irrelevant. I could go reskin Ubuntu and call it "FREEDOMOS", claiming that I developed it, and expect the same shame.

Nothing says 'China' more than a copied OS that's renamed to make it their own.

Open source is still the product of decades of accumulations of contributions from countless people in the free world who were nurtured in the free world...
It's the cheapest way to get your product out when you're just starting out and low on funds. Retail products refine those ideas and make them more accessible and user friendly.

Nothing says 'China' more than a copied OS that's renamed to make it their own.
The fact that u imply that "copying" a free open source project is bad proves that brainwash propaganda is working. However is hard to live and be objective in a society in which it's own govern spies and steal the entire world people information. Especially when the rest of the world is aware nowadays.

Last edited:
I didn't, you incorrectly 'implied' that I did.

I simply stated it's lazy. Critical thinking mate, it's... Critical. :)
OK, I see your point, and I agree that is lazy, even lame like what TrueNas is doing and Apple etc. Wish u good luck in using critical thinking on next level of real, sickening problems like NSA, CIA, FBI, Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel spying and stealing people's information all over the world. This will be a true test of critical thinking. Hope that more people will pass it magna cum laude. (y) (Y)

Last edited:
Dear China,

If we could trust you not to embed as much or more crapware, spyware and backdoor action as MS this might be a good thing. We can't trust you, so this is what it is, a terrible, terrible idea...

... man, if youi were strict enough to highlight that point, then you should be able to read a bit more and find, that Kylin _DID NOT_ kept the opriginal copyrights!
So the article is totally correct, Kylin plagarised FreeBSD BECAUSE did not kept the required by licence statement:

"Kylin operating system has not strictly followed this statement and generously explained the copyright of FreeBSD. Why? The reporter consulted a friend at the Chinese Academy of Sciences. It is said that such practices are not uncommon. Kylin is unwilling to comply with FreeBSD's copyright regulations. The reason is that Galaxy Kylin is a project started with national funds. If the copyright of FreeBSD is clear in the software , Then there will be a lot of troubles during project acceptance."

"As one of the 863 projects, why the Kylin operating system dare not comply with FreeBSD's copyright regulations? I am afraid to start with the requirements of the 863 project. Dancefir noticed an article on the 863 official website-" Information Field Special Project: 863 Project" Software Major Special Project "The First Issue Application Guide ". In this application guide, I saw that one of the topics is completely consistent with Kylin. Among the indicators of this topic, the first item is that the kernel has independent copyright!"

Kylin was advertised as unhackable, Chinese-made OS that have advantage over Linux, Windows and Unix:

"This race was intensified when China created Kylin, their own hardened server operating system and began to convert their systems back in 2007. This action also made our offensive cyber capabilities ineffective against them given the cyber weapons were designed to be used against Linux, UNIX and Windows"

... but they forgot to mention that they did it by usiong FreeBSD and deleting all copyrights and any mention of freebsd inside...
China did plagiarise FreeBSD and were trying to cover it up for more than a decade. That's the fact. They did not used FreeBSD copyright only to boast how well they did, and to pretend they were able to build modern OS by themselves.

Every state should have its own Linux distro for it's public sector.
It is really strange that this isn't the case already.

The advantages for public sector use case are too many.
Linux can run on a potato and it is open source - and you if you bundle it with your own programs or public domain software, you don't have to pay extra for every copy...

... man, if youi were strict enough to highlight that point, then you should be able to read a bit more and find, that Kylin _DID NOT_ kept the opriginal copyrights!
So the article is totally correct, Kylin plagarised FreeBSD BECAUSE did not kept the required by licence statement:

"Kylin operating system has not strictly followed this statement and generously explained the copyright of FreeBSD. Why? The reporter consulted a friend at the Chinese Academy of Sciences. It is said that such practices are not uncommon. Kylin is unwilling to comply with FreeBSD's copyright regulations. The reason is that Galaxy Kylin is a project started with national funds. If the copyright of FreeBSD is clear in the software , Then there will be a lot of troubles during project acceptance."

"As one of the 863 projects, why the Kylin operating system dare not comply with FreeBSD's copyright regulations? I am afraid to start with the requirements of the 863 project. Dancefir noticed an article on the 863 official website-" Information Field Special Project: 863 Project" Software Major Special Project "The First Issue Application Guide ". In this application guide, I saw that one of the topics is completely consistent with Kylin. Among the indicators of this topic, the first item is that the kernel has independent copyright!"

Kylin was advertised as unhackable, Chinese-made OS that have advantage over Linux, Windows and Unix:

"This race was intensified when China created Kylin, their own hardened server operating system and began to convert their systems back in 2007. This action also made our offensive cyber capabilities ineffective against them given the cyber weapons were designed to be used against Linux, UNIX and Windows"

... but they forgot to mention that they did it by usiong FreeBSD and deleting all copyrights and any mention of freebsd inside...
China did plagiarise FreeBSD and were trying to cover it up for more than a decade. That's the fact. They did not used FreeBSD copyright only to boast how well they did, and to pretend they were able to build modern OS by themselves.
What u said is true not mentioning FreeBSD License, almost the same as what former FreeNas, now TrueNas or others did which also forgot to mention all the condition of FreeBSD. For that they can be warned or be fined in extremis. The link I provided discuss this in extenso. https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...bsd-and-call-themselves-a-different-os.71088/
So US is making too much of a big fuss about China (regardless if is true or not), through some of it's "propaganda influencers" when other do it, Kylin in this example it is really a non-issue. In the same time NSA, FBI, Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel are spying and stealing peoples information all over the world, and use it against them, including USA citizens. This kind of western-american propaganda is not fooling people from the rest of the world anymore and became really boring. Hope you realize the pinnacle of USA hypocrisy and wrongdoings while violating so many human rights. This is the elephant in the room, not Kylin artificial inflated "issue" from this low quality article.

Last edited:

Linux can run on a potato and it is open source - and you if you bundle it with your own programs or public domain software, you don't have to pay extra for every copy...
Oddly enough, this is starting with chromebooks. In about 10 years a large part of the workforce will be more familiar with chromeOS and Android than they are with a traditional desktop OS like OSX(is it still called that?) or windows.

I already enjoy using Linux more than windows. With the steam deck actually having a professional development team working on integrating universal gaming into Linux we might actually have a chance at an average Joe Linux experience.

But it's Linux, you know. I tried several Linux distros... it's not for me. I have to continue with Windows because there is nothing better. I'd love to see more competition here, really. Hopefully China can deliver something decent. Regarding receiving spyware from a Chinese OS: Windows is already full of it. We'll need only a good Antispy for Chinese crap then.

I would love a Linux option for work besides Windows or Mac OS too.
The biggest chances are with the help of Valve and it's steam deck which already is making Linux adopted faster. I have Fedora installed for testing, is very close to adopt it, just need 2 more windows working app to make them run on Linux or something equivalent and I can switch from Windows.

But it's Linux, you know. I tried several Linux distros... it's not for me. I have to continue with Windows because there is nothing better. I'd love to see more competition here, really. Hopefully China can deliver something decent. Regarding receiving spyware from a Chinese OS: Windows is already full of it. We'll need only a good Antispy for Chinese crap then.
The problem with Linux, is well, that most distros complicate things for no reason. Distros made for a wider audience (state employees, students etc) would hopefully be more user friendly (click and go)

Wish I could get rid of Windows too. I would if not for it's amazing program support which is the only good thing about it.

I feel it is not about creating an OS that’s important because it really takes developer’s support to make the OS useful. Look at Huawei now and you get my point. They are using a base Android build, but due to the lack of some software and key services, the take up rate is extremely low, even though it’s the same Android that people are accustomed to.

This isn't some secret. Everyone in American knows that Wernher Von Braun is a German name. These are the rightful spoils of war my friend. We conquered the Third Reich and occupied half their country after they declared war on us. Of course their top military scientists ended up working for us. The Russians did the exact same thing except I'm willing to bet a lot more coercion was involved.

This isn't some secret. Everyone in American knows that Wernher Von Braun is a German name. These are the rightful spoils of war my friend. We conquered the Third Reich and occupied half their country after they declared war on us. Of course their top military scientists ended up working for us. The Russians did the exact same thing except I'm willing to bet a lot more coercion was involved.
Unfortunately for USA (maybe for the rest of the world too), infamous USSR won the war against Germany regardless of american propaganda (USA contribution was like 25% at the end). So USA are the best in spying and stealing, than USSR (now Russia), followed by miles back by China nowadays. To establish the straight facts. And somehow u think that this is justifiable? What the rest of the world is aware now is how disgusting and boring american propaganda become. Propaganda in general is disgusting and boring but hey, here USA is world number 1, otherwise USA began its downfall long ago.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for USA, infamous USSR won the war against Germany regardless of american propaganda. USA contribution was like 25% at the end. So USA are the best in spying and stealing, than USSR (now Russia), followed by miles back by China nowadays. To establish the straight facts. And somehow u think that this is justifiable? What the rest of the world is aware now is how disgusting and boring american propaganda become. Propaganda in general is disgusting and boring but hey, here USA is world number 1, otherwise USA began its downfall long ago.

If UUSR won the war on its own, how did the American and British armies end up occupying half of Germany? It wasn't spying and stealing that got German scientists to work for the U.S. It was good old fashioned money. Are you attempting to make some sort of moral judgment about that? If so, how is it connected in any way to the substance of this article about open source software?

For someone who mentions propaganda in every sentence, you seem blissfully unaware of what propaganda has done to you.

This article is a perfect example of a low quality propaganda (unfortunately western and american). The author of this is article did not even tried to hide his bias. On the contrary he exposed it without minimum journalism integrity. I noticed that it's a bad habit of him whenever he "write" an "article" about China.
We can thank to Eduard Snowden, Julian Asange, Chelsea Manning and others for exposing with proofs that USA is spying and stealing peoples information from all over the world for decades through NSA, FBI, Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel processors backdoors (the list is longer) and use it against them.

How did you get around the Chinese dictatorships internet firewall to write this? Why do so many Chinese dictatorship shills come on to western media and social media to spread CCP propaganda? The western people doesnt do that in China

Back