China steals supercomputer title from the US

Emil

Staff

China has built the world's fastest supercomputer, stealing the crown from the United States, according to the New York Times. The National University of Defense Technology's Tianhe-1A PC has 14,336 processors from Intel and over 7,168 M2050 graphics cards from Nvidia ($2,500 each). This gives it a horsepower equivalent of 175,000 laptop computers, according to Nvidia. China says the Tianhe-1A, which is under supervision from the Ministry of National Defense and the Ministry of Education, will be used by scientists across several fields and will also be made available to other countries.

The supercomputer race is extremely competitive and is a source of national pride. China's 2.507 petaflop supercomputer, which is 30 percent faster than the world's second most powerful supercomputer, was built by the National University of Defense Technology using the government's money and is now located at the National Supercomputing Center in Tianjin. America's fastest supercomputer is in Tennessee, where it's been since 2004 when the US grabbed first place back from Japan. The ranking is based on a standard test used to gauge how well the systems handle mathematical calculations. Out of the top 10, seven of the world's most powerful computers are in the US, two are in China, and one is in Germany.

Permalink to story.

America's fastest supercomputer is in Tennessee, where it's been since 2004 when the US grabbed first place back from Japan... Out of the top 10, seven of the world's most powerful computers are in the US, two are in China, and one is in Germany.

If we just reclaimed the title in 2004 (although now lost it), have so many super computers been built to completely remove Japan from the top 10?

I'm guessing this news has brought down www.top500.org a list of the top 500 super computers.

What really amazes me though is that even with the huge investment and development costs, the computer power is still dwarfed by that of several botnets serving up spam

BlindObject said:
Question is- How does it run Crysis?

On stories like this, a quote like the one above is almost essential. And good for China on the new Super Computing Power. Competition is always good.

I bet that computer can run games with graphics and physics being much much better than in real life.

Healthy competition is good... Will be interesting to see how long China holds the title.
Checked and top500.org will not load, just as PanicX said. Although you can ping the server (150ms).

It could probably render the Final Fantasy movie in real time... Or could allow 100,000 Chinese to play COD...

Almost 18 million $ just for the graphics??
I guess it is true what I was told 15 years ago, that one day the yellow race will rule the world.

The Chinese are attempting to find the Ultimate Question to the Ultimate Answer. Let's just hope it isn't destroyed 5 minutes before it's finished computing.

It was about time... China is improving its infrastructure and stepping up. It won't be surprising to see them hold even more top spots in the coming years.

GO CHINA! SHOW WHAT A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY CAN DO!

That makes no sence, how can physics be better than real life? lol, and to think, 10 years from now the computers in our houses will be more powerful than this one. heh.

Pretty impressive that it took 6 years to beat the best supercomputer.

i men the way tech is evolving these days you purchase a PC and the next week it out of date

But i agree with treeski what happend to Japan? did they build that many supercomps in 6years!!

Oh and btw GO NVIDIA GO

the mark on the door right next to the guy in the picture is the chinese character for 'Sky' and the one next to that has the set of chinese characters for 'Ocean' i think. no Alpha, Bravo here :p

I am wondering what cluster os they are running. I am betting Red Hat enterprise. Red Hats pretty good for everything except storage from what i remember.

Also what are they going to use this for? I hope they are keeping up with the application development for these.

twiztidsef said:
I am wondering what cluster os they are running. I am betting Red Hat enterprise. Red Hats pretty good for everything except storage from what i remember.

Also what are they going to use this for? I hope they are keeping up with the application development for these.

They're creating specialized software that'll see into the future and update your facebook and twitter status, so people will know ahead of time that while you no longer enjoy the musical stylings of Coldplay, you now have a crush on Suzy from next door.

From the original post:
"The supercomputer race is extremely competitive and is a source of national pride"

I don't believe the national pride is the most important. The most important fact is that one man stood up from earth and conquer all the obstacle to become the top of all the things. Do anyone have the same opinion of my post ?

Back