TechSpot

Chinese prisoners forced to farm video game currency

By Matthew
May 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. According to a report by the Guardian, Chinese prisoners are being forced to slave away at MMORPGs. One such detainee claims he was one of 300 people required to play…

Read the whole story

2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 738   +247

Makes you wonder what sort of a screwed up world we live in. The Chinese are physically forced against their will to play WoW for hours upon hours a day and we've got fools over here in the west, hordes of morons subjecting themselves to it voluntarily.

3. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

Gotta love Communism, comrade.

4. A dream for the jailed gamer.

5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

6. davimous

davimous TS Rookie Posts: 55   +9

Except in the rest of the world you don't get beat with pipes for under performing. Unless you have a mean wife.

7. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TS Evangelist Posts: 567   +174

You also don't have to deal with guards and crazy people in other countries.

Edit: There are plenty of crazy gamers else ware.

8. Okey, now, where is that chinese constitution?

9. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

:haha:

10. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

This is so surreal. Just the concept of paying someone else to play a computer game for you is weird enough, but to think that there is a prisoner somewhere who is being forced to play your PC for you...too weird.

I guess no different than someone making my shoes or shirt in a sweatshop somewhere, but somewhat more personal.

11. This is actually more humane than having prisoners do manual labor.

12. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 738   +247

You're kidding, right? Forcing people to play WoW is humane? I consider that to be right up there with waterboarding.

13. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

You know that this means China will soon be the fattest country in the world...

14. Nore hot pockets!

15. yorro

yorro TS Booster Posts: 251

You have two choices.

(1) Mine coal in a sweaty dark cave with dust in your lungs and in your eyes? or (2) sit infront of a computer and mine digital gold while listening to music?

Force labor is nothing new in prison camps. Choice 2 is ingenious BTW

16. waterboarding?

17. ihaveaname

ihaveaname TS Enthusiast Posts: 107

Am I the only one who thinks that maybe, just maybe, the story isn't 100% legit?

18. Zecias

Zecias TS Booster Posts: 202

yeah it might not be humane making them play wow for 12 hours straight but it is a hell of alot better than life threatening manual labor.

have u ever played an MMORPG?

19. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

They don't have the wontpower of American's to be Number 1*...nor the determination to make sure that no coronary thrombosis goes unrealised.

(* Small Pacific islands that have been Americanized excluded)

20. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

OHHHHH thats hitting below the 58" belt. :haha:

21. Timonius

Timonius TS Evangelist Posts: 640   +56

I doubt that these prisoners are actually playing for any entertainment value. Gold farming for 12 hours day after day sure doesn't sound like fun does it?

On the flip side something is seriously messed up when a computer game actually creates a virtual real world economy (is that an oxymoron?).

22. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

Who knew? Never even heard on gold-farming until now. Just going by those numbers, thats an average of $2,000 per person, not so impressive over a course of a year. Will keep my day job (of which i should be doing right now)

23. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

I remember a story of a China bloke a few months back who basically just dropped dead after 3 days of solid gaming in an internet cafe. You do have to wonder what it's doing for their mental health.

Better than physical labour?....I wouldn't say so.

24. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Guru Posts: 435   +24

Human rights have been breached that's all i can say.

25. Gars

Gars TS Booster Posts: 224

'grinding' and 'farming' are not equal to 'playing'

'playing' implies some enjoyment - questing, parties, dungeons, etc
    and for sure excludes plastic pipes (imo)