TechSpot

Choosing a motherboard

By bjg222
Jun 20, 2007
  1. Ok, so I'm new to overclocking. I've done a ton of research lately into choosing the right components, and I seem to have seen a consensus that Asus and Gigabyte are the best bands for overclocking. Is this accurate? I've looked at my options and narrowed it down to the following favorites:

Asus P5K3 Deluxe WiFi
    Asus Striker Extreme
    Gigabyte P35-DS3P

However, one (maybe two) of these says it is CrossFire ready, and I had planned on using one of the new GeForce graphics cards. Will this be a problem? Do I need to go with one that is specifically Nvidia compatible? I've also considered these motherboards:

Asus P5W DH-Deluxe WiFi
    Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi-AP
    Asus Commando
    Asus P5B Premium Vista Edition
    Asus P5NT-WS nForce 680I
    Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4
    Gigabyte P35C-DS3R

What's my best option?

Thanks
    Billy

Edit: Sorry, didn't think to add other specs first time around. Here's what other components I'm thinking about:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6320 or 6420
    GPU: nvida GeForce 8xxx
    RAM: 4 GB, don't know brand or speed yet
    Not sure about power source/heat sink yet

2. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,634

If one v card is all u are going to ever use it does not matter but if u plan on using the second latter u should go with a SLI MB.

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Take a look here on this forum by searching for those boards.
    Then go to the excellent motherboard reviews at www.tomshardware.com and www.anandtech.com... among others.
    I wouldn't give a twit for an ASUS board, myself. Their tech support and finaal phase manufacturing have slipped down to below average.
    I was wondering why you didn't include any eVGA boards in the search, as well... I do like the Gigabyte boards better than the ASUS.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.