CiD Pop Up removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWise38

CiD: Popup removal help needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I am new here and need your help removing this pesky CiD pop up that occurs every 2 minutes and causes my computer to perform sluggishly or at worst freeze up. I've had the problem for about a month now and have surfed the net and tried every possible solution out there, with no success.

Your assistance in helping me resolve this matter would be greatly appreciated.

BWise38

I have gone through the instructions listed on the thread you forwarded me to. No viruses or malware were detected. I have attached the:

1) Malwarebytes Anti Malware log
2) SuperAntiSpyware log
3) Hijackthis log

Attachments

• mbam-log-2008-10-01 (18-00-03).txt
    856 bytes · Views: 5
  • hijackthis.log
    8.9 KB · Views: 8
CiD Removal Instructions !?

Hi :

Recommend you try the info at http://cidhelp.com , especially
" 4) The use and presence of the Software is voluntary. The Software may be uninstalled at any time from your computer. The only authorized means to uninstall the Software is to use the ADD/REMOVE function on your control panel or contact support@cidhelp.com for assistance. Instructions to uninstall the Software are as follows:

1. Access your control panel by going to the Start menu;

2. Select Control Panel;

3. Choose ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS; and,

4. Select Messenger Plus! and Sponsor or CiD Help for removal.

5. If you do not remember which bundled software product you installed that included the sponsor software you can download and run the universal uninstaller located here. "

The Info in "5" is probably what you should be using !?

I've already uninstalled Messenger Plus! and Sponsor or CiD using the Add/Remove Program tool in the Control Panel and the pop ups still occur.

And as for the universal uninstaller in Step5, anytime i click it I get an 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' message.

Was there no valuable information contained in the logs i attached in my previous post?

And what now? These adds have slowed my PC to a halt!

It is likely that access to 'cidhelp com' is being blocked by antispy and internet security programs running on your computer. Temporarily turn off these programs while accessing 'cidhelp com'.

I believe that 'antispy' protection is the only thing to be disabled so you can run the uninstall program there.

The following HJT entries should be monitored following the cidhelp uninstall:
Code:
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [barbtwo] "C:\ProgramData\Coalpoppop.fim1t1k"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BOOK BITS GRID FORD] "C:\ProgramData\Skip remote dvd.j6v474"

I did not find negative information for the above entries. However, it is up to you to decide if these are associated with useful programs. The naming suggests they are nasties.

Firstly, your HijackThis log shows you are only patched up to SP1!
That is highly unrecommended because of tonnes of exploitable loopholes etc. I strongly encourage you to update to the latest patch SP3, or at least SP2!

Secondly, these are BAD and must be fixed.
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [barbtwo] "C:\ProgramData\Coalpoppop.fim1t1k"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BOOK BITS GRID FORD] "C:\ProgramData\Skip remote dvd.j6v474"

How do I update to SP3 or SP2 from SP1? Windows Update in Control Panel says im all up to date. BTW Im running on Vista.

Your help is greatly appreciated

Ah sorry my bad, I misread your log. I thought you were on XP.
Have you fixed those entries in HJT? Please post a fresh log from normal mode too.

To momok

Yes i deleted those entries in HJT and so far so good. I've been online for 1.5 hours since deleting those entries and havent recieved a CiD pop up since. Thanks to all those who responded to my thread with their expertise, much appreciated.

To SpiritWind

I tried entering the URL manually still with no success, but as I stated above I think I might have solved the problem. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thanks

Yep you're clean and good to go. But before that,

1. Please download and run CCleaner via step 3 of the instructions HERE.

2. Turn off system restore (XP/ME only). Learn how to do that HERE.
    This will remove all the remaining nasties from your old restore points.

3. After that turn system restore back on.
    This would have created a new safe and clean restore point for your system.

4. Often times, an infection can occur again not due to the incompetence of programs, but because of user habits.
    May I recommend you to read this article.
    This can help to prevent future infections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back