CiD Popup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that I did everything correctly. This CiD popup is so frustrating and annoying. After performing every step, my system seems to be quiet, but only time will tell.

System Specs:
Dell Inspiron 700m
Windows XP SP2
Intel Pentium M processor 1.6GHz
1.59GHz, 1.98 GB of RAM

PS
Once everything is fixed, which I really hope would be the case, would I still need all those programs that were downloaded to perform the CID removal? I currently have the following already running on my system: McAfee's latest 11 in 1 protection, Webroot Spy Sweeper, & Microsoft Defender.

1)Uninstall any of the following program(s) using Add/Remove Programs if they are present. To do this, go to Start > Settings > Control Panel and double-click on Add/Remove Programs. From within Add/Remove Programs highlight each one and select Remove.

Netpumper
BitRoll
Browser Enhancer
CiD Help
CiD Manager
Download Plugin for Internet Explorer
Lop.com
LOP SEARCH
Messenger Plus
Ultimate Browser Enhance
Window Search
Window Searching
Zone Media

2)Setup" is now displayed. Click on the Uninstall button. Note: options displayed on the first screen are not related to the sponsor program.

3)The sponsor screen is now displayed (if you don't see it, search for it in your Task Bar). To prove that someone is currently reading the screen, you have to type the code that is displayed. Once you enter the code, press Uninstall.

4)If you entered the code properly, the program will ask you to confirm that you want to uninstall. You must answer "Yes" to this question, else, you won't have another chance of uninstalling.

5)Reboot your computer

6)Run another scan with Hijackthis and attach a new log
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see that Viewpoint is installed. Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player are Viewpoint components which are installed as a side effect of installing other software, most notably AOL and AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). Viewpoint Manager is responsible for managing and updating Viewpoint Media Player’s components. You can disable this using the Viewpoint Manager Control Panel found in the Windows Control Panel menu. By selecting Disable auto-updating for the Viewpoint Manager -- the player will no longer attempt to check for updates. Anything that is installed without your consent is suspect.

Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without user's approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad". This may change, read Viewpoint to Plunge Into Adware.
I recommend that you remove the Viewpoint products; however, decide for yourself. To uninstall the the Viewpoint components :
  1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  2. In Control Panel, double-click Add or Remove Programs.
  3. In Add or Remove Programs, highlight >>Viewpoint component<< , click Remove.

How to prevent it from being recreated every time you run the AOL software:
    • Open AOL
    • Go to Help on the toolbar
    • Select About AOL
    • Hit Ctrl D and a secret panel can be accessed which will allow you to disable all desktop and IM features associated with Viewpoint.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update your Java Runtime Environment
  • Click the following link
    Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 4
  • The 4th option down is the one you want
  • After the download locate and double click the installer jre-6u4-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe
  • Go to Start-> Control Panel-> add/remove programs (Programs and features), and uninstall any old versions in your case Java 6 Update 3

new HJT log

new HJT log after performing requested actions:

-removed viewpoint (everything else was not on the add/remove list)
-updated java to current update, then removed old java updates
-ran HJT, saved log, and rebooted.

Boot into safe mode by tapping F8 before windows loads up.(under your normal account)

Launch Hijackthis and Run a System Scan Only

Put a check next to the following:
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://au.mcafee.com/root/campaign.asp?cid=35035&affID=0-535
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)

Select Fix Checked

Close Hijackthis

Reboot into Normal Mode

Launch Hijackthis and select Run a System Scan and save a log

Attach this log here.

Also let me know if you are still having problems at this point. Your Hijackthis log looks clean once those entries are gone but that doesn't mean that you are necessarily clean.

latest HJT log

new HJT log after performing requested actions:

-ran HJT in safe mode fixed R1, R3, 09, 09
-rebooted into normal mode
-ran HJT for current log

It's looking pretty good. I haven't gotten any popups yet, but as i mentioned before, only time will tell. I will give it a few days and we will really know for sure if these popups are gone. Other than that, you have been a godsend. thank you so much for your time and help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back