CityVille eclipses FarmVille to become world's biggest game

Emil

Staff

The newest Zynga game, CityVille, has accomplished what no game maker, not even Zynga itself, has ever done before: become the most popular game in 22 days. In less than a month, CityVille has managed to grab the most daily active users and the most monthly active users, according to AppData.

The game launched on December 2, 2010 and grew faster than any game in history. CityVille now has 61.67 million monthly active users, compared to 56.85 million for FarmVille. That number will dip a little at some point: all games, social or not, aren't played by everyone who tries them out. Right now though, CityVille is still growing, and we don't know where its number will eventually settle.

Zynga has something like 261 million monthly active users across its various social games. Like all of Zynga's games, CityVille is free, but users can spend real money on virtual goods to enhance their experience of playing the game. Zynga makes a killing in revenue every year from the sale of virtual goods. Two months ago, the company was valued at $5.51 billion, which is more than Electronic Arts.

Permalink to story.

Ok I am really confused,
"become the most popular game in 22 days."
"In less than a month...."
but then,
"most monthly active users" ???
And,
"Game launched on December 2, 2010"
But then,
"CityVille now has 61.67 million monthly active userss" ???
I am missing something or are we time traveling

This is going to slowly be the demise of the gaming industry, its sad that crummy little flash games allow a company to surpass one of the largest game developers out there. I understand its all in the name of fun for those who actually like these types of games but thats just too ridiculous.

Ok.. having fun is now ridiculous.. Why don't we just say that people have the freedom to choose what game they play..

This article is incorrect. Zynga doesn't produce games. Zynga produces things as close to games as bad soaps are to good movies.

How Citycrap managed to beat Farmcrap in that amount of time is really surprising...I'am abit of a sucker though for Zynga...I do occasionally play their Texas Hold'em crap.

im not suprised by this seeing cityville is actually not a bad game and im a pc gamer and console gamer

Why does this matter..?

Both are just graphical chat rooms for fat kids & underprivleaged house wives. How do "most" mediocre game in thew world mean anything, to anyone. Neither of these games are challenging.

They are served up marking gimmicks.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I am one of those users. Only problem is after first running CityVille, I removed it almost immediately. Game is weak. Needs to be more like Sim City to interest me. Anyone else with me?

Guest said:
Why does this matter..?

Both are just graphical chat rooms for fat kids & underprivleaged house wives. How do "most" mediocre game in thew world mean anything, to anyone. Neither of these games are challenging.

After reading this posting, no one should ever make a TomSea joke ever again. I argue with Tom's views all the time but at least he has points. This post is simply utter rubbish.

darkshadoe said:
Guest said:
Why does this matter..?

After reading this posting, no one should ever make a TomSea joke ever again. I argue with Tom's views all the time but at least he has points. This post is simply utter rubbish.
Tom's points are just as weak

Using your argument, Paris Hilton's IQ would increase every time Sarah Palin opens her mouth. In this example, the utterances of one ***** do not mitigate the verbal gibberish of another.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I am one of those users. Only problem is after first running CityVille, I removed it almost immediately. Game is weak. Needs to be more like Sim City to interest me. Anyone else with me?

Even Sim City was bad for me. I spend like 2 hours building a "city" (more like a village), for it just to lose money or get wiped by a UFO invasion.

I suppose it was ok loading one of the sample save files that came with the game (metropolis springs to mind), then to watch that get invaded by ET.

But ultimately i found watching paint dry alot more fun and stress free in the end :D

Ha ha, wow. People are decrying Flash games like CityVille and FarmVille as the end of gaming? Why is it that some PC gamers seem to have a horrible 'Chicken Little' syndrome? It's either consoles, or bad developers, or games on social media websites.

I'm sure some loonies back in the early nineties were mighty angry about 3D graphics supposedly being the end of gaming too,

Relax guys. Perhaps actually playing a game or two will alleviate your concerns.

A lot of people don't have the time or inclination to set up a proper gaming PC with the corresponding peripherals just so that they can play a proper PC game, be it a FPS, RTS, RPG or whatever. For these casual gamers, games like FarmVille and CityVille most likely provide the perfect outlet for relaxation and /or recreation.

A lot of people don't have the time or inclination to set up a proper gaming PC with the corresponding peripherals just so that they can play a proper PC game, be it a FPS, RTS, RPG or whatever. For these casual gamers, games like FarmVille and CityVille most likely provide the perfect outlet for relaxation and /or recreation.
In fact, it can provide so much relaxation and recreation that relaxation and recreation take precedence over real life. Hopefully these now unemployed and unencumbered people now have the time and inclination to set up a proper gaming PC

As you say..."the perfect outlet".

The preceding comments was brought to you by the National Sarcasm Association (yes, THAT NSA)

dividebyzero said:
In fact, it can provide so much relaxation and recreation that relaxation and recreation take precedence over real life. Hopefully these now unemployed and unencumbered people now have the time and inclination to set up a proper gaming PC

As you say..."the perfect outlet".

The preceding comments was brought to you by the National Sarcasm Association (yes, THAT NSA)

I was going to write a real response. Then I realized that anyone with a brain would already realize what I was going to say, and anyone else wouldn't understand.

So instead I'm going to leave you with a small addition that's not mentioned in your linked article on the baby-shaker: she had already been convicted of domestic battery before, and was on 6-month probation. She could've just as easily killed the baby over interrupting morning soaps as FarmVille.

DokkRokken said:
Ha ha, wow. People are decrying Flash games like CityVille and FarmVille as the end of gaming? Why is it that some PC gamers seem to have a horrible 'Chicken Little' syndrome? It's either consoles, or bad developers, or games on social media websites.

I'm sure some loonies back in the early nineties were mighty angry about 3D graphics supposedly being the end of gaming too,

Relax guys. Perhaps actually playing a game or two will alleviate your concerns.

I totally agree. As long as we have PCs, we'll have games to play on them.

Zynga is making some major cash. I personally have not played CityVille ( never will ), it just seems to me Zynga pushes out the same game every few months with a different GUI. blah

I was going to write a real response..
Maybe you should have tried. What stopped you? lack of debating skill ?
Then I realized that anyone with a brain would already realize what I was going to say, and anyone else wouldn't understand.
So....People with a brain are precognitive, while people without a brain (presumeably autopsy cadavers and birth defects) lack this skill set. Right.
So instead I'm going to leave you with a small addition that's not mentioned in your linked article on the baby-shaker: she had already been convicted of domestic battery before, and was on 6-month probation. She could've just as easily killed the baby over interrupting morning soaps as FarmVille.
So you are equating morning soap opera's with FarmVille. You're the expert so I'd say fair comment.

Where your argument falls down is:
1. "She could've" ....Well she didn't. Maybe we should analyse the facts rather than what you possibly think might have happened if the situation was probably different.
2. Don't see you taking issue with the first two links- and the further links they in turn lead to, both of which are indicative of the impact of FarmVille et al on society as a whole. What's the matter, having trouble coming up with a valid counter-argument?...or is this an area not generally covered by the morning soap opera's?

Since reading/comprehension also seems to have passed you by to some extent, I'll repost the last line of my post. If you look carefully you may be able to discern the tenor of my original post....look carefully...
The preceding comments was brought to you by the National Sarcasm Association
Another area seemingly untouched by the morning soap opera's is the use of rhetorical humour.

I'm not a real fan of these kind of computer games. Flash games are fine and dandy, but they are just not for me. If I want to relax with a game, I'm not going to build up a virtual city or tend and feed virtual farm animals, no!

I will just snuggle up to my Bejeweled 2 and play it in "never ending mode"!

The sound or power jewels being made is quite relaxing!:approve:

I'd love to keep playing the game, but I've run out of room to expand! I hope Zynga increases the map size soon, so I can keep expanding my city. I'd like bridges to the other side made available....Unlike what someone said about cityville being for fat kids and housewives - I actually play it to take my mind off of school and heavy subject material I'm reading for my degrees.....You spend your life studying depressing subjects before judging those of us who need a mental break once in a while!!

Back