TechSpot

clicking noises, BSOD

By valeskoi
Jan 13, 2007
  1. So I've been having a problem with clicking noises from my computer, a funny "bzzt" sound, and then a BSOD. The following errors are then reported:

0x00000003
    0x8663FC38
    0x8663FDAC
    0x805F9F88

I've done what I can from the sticky about mini-dumps, without success. My computer is a Dell Dimension 8400, with no special add-ons.

Any ideas?

2. akaivan

akaivan TS Maniac Posts: 620

Have you checked for overheating? if so, check your fans for dust. 1 may have died. Just a thought....:confused:

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

Are the clicks different from the "bzzt" sound? Clicks are most often caused by failing hard drives, so if its clicking from the hard drive you need to get any valuable data off that thing immediately.

4. valeskoi

valeskoi TS Rookie Topic Starter

The clicks are different. They are more common, but always precede the humming sounding (which sounds a little like the computer running but isn't).

I used the temp scanning program mentioned in the sticky (temp was fine), and also cleaned my computer for dust with a can of air. It should be clean now. How do I know if a fan has died?

Everything is already all backed up. I was having bsod problems before and re-installed my hard drive, and it was fine for a couple of weeks. Now more disasters. It doesn't always crash, but it's become fairly common.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,630   +321

You can look and listen if a fan is dying.

Download one of the drive diagnostic tools found in this thread: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html
    I think if its clicking and BSODing you have a bad hard drive.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.