[Closed] Have been unsuccessful when attempting to run ComboFix

Status
Not open for further replies.

poshgerm

On a previous post

"Laptop so slow it's unusable, disc activity light is on constantly"

"My retired aunts laptop started running very slow a couple of weeks back, it could take 2 or 3 hours, yes hours, or more to boot into the Windows XP desktop. Once the XP desktop eventually came up, just about the only thing that you could get it to run was the task manager."
"A full MalwareBytes scan took over 300 hours to complete."

Further developments -
I can now get onto the desktop a lot quicker after running chkdsk repair even though chkdsk had reported that the drive wasn't "dirty".

When I tried to follow Broni's instructions from the previous thread, I couldn't get ComboFix to complete and give me it's log becuase it hangs the machine even if I run RKill beforehand, there was no difference whether I ran it in normal or Safe Mode.

The only thing RKill seemed to block/stop was a single script blocking program, I can post the 'RKill log if need be...

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic156572.html
Do NOT follow instructions given to others
I'm seeing numerous threads starting off saying the member has following the instructions that were given to other members to clean malware. Understand please that those instructions were specific for that member only!

You don't run TDSSKiller because you found a thread where someone was told to run it. You don't run Combofix because someone else was told to run it. While the same programs can be used for many, they are not given until the helper sees the preliminary logs and determines what the best programs are.

So for you who ran TDSSKiller because someone else did and for you who ran the MBR Rootkit program because someone else did and for you who ran Combofix because others did, don't expect us to get you out of a situation that may be caused by running these powerful programs when they are not appropriate.

Yes, that is a yell at the top> this is IMPORTANT!

===================================================================

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back