Clueless + Upgrading Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up until recently I've been using a very battered old PC, riddled with problems, but with 2GB of RAM and an Nvidia 6800 card. This xmas, I got a computer from a relative and I was glad to make the switch. It has an integrated graphics card, some PCI slots and one AGP; I don't know what type. The motherboard didn't have a slot for my old video card and I didn't mind until now.

I'm looking to start playing Heroes of Newerth closed beta. Recommended specs:
- Processor - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo / AMD 3500+ or faster
- RAM - 1.5GB or higher
- Video Card - 256MB Geforce 7800+ or Radeon X1900+

Unfortunately I don't know anything about hardware. Needless to say, I'd be very grateful if I could get some help on these forums. I looked over the Guide to Video Card Upgrades thread... don't have much time and feel that I am way over my head here, so here are some shots of my specs. I hope you guys don't mind. :eek:

The AGP slot. Going by Wikipedia, I think it's AGP 1.5V.
i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/vfmlor/IMG_0368.jpg

PSU
i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/vfmlor/PSU-1.jpg

CPU specs
i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/vfmlor/CPU-Z-cpu.jpg

Mainboard specs
i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/vfmlor/CPU-Z-mainboard.jpg

Just finding out what kind of slot I have on this PC would be enough for me, but if you guys could recommend a video card as well, that would be awesome. I live in Canada and my budget is around $100, +/- 50. :)

For under 100$ and AGP an AMD HD4650 should the best buy but i'd go for the 4670 which is currently the best you can buy on AGP (should be under 110$).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2010380048 1069609639&ActiveSearchResult=True
i'm concerned that the PSU might not handle it.
Do you have the old PSU from your other computer? A 450W (AMD recomends a minimum of 400w) one should be enough to power them (although a 500W one is more future proof). You have a lot to chose from for you budget.
PS: it might be a bit more expensive but i recommend going for a 80+ efficiency PSU.
PS2: the CPU isn't really gaming material so on some games you'll have to lower details to be able to play, but what i don't understand is why you have a mobile CPU in a desktop PC.
edit: an AMD Athlon 64 (not the X2 version) CPU for Socket:754 should be very cheap to buy (under 50$), so when you have the money try upgrading. It will be worth it, trust me.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not looking to upgrade anything else on this PC, though. I've quit gaming, so the best card that my current setup can support will be more than good enough. I appreciate your suggestions!

I do have the PSU from my old computer.
i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss359/vfmlor/PSU_old.jpg

I'd have to look up how to switch them. Would there be any side-effects like having to reactivate my OS (XP)? Also, that PC is very old and battered; maybe the PSU would die sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back