CMOS & Laptop battery

learninmypc

In regards to my Vista Home Premium I've had problems with it possibly due to a bad or dying CMOS battery & possibly defective battery as I posted in here https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-twice-on-my-vista.202144/
The most recent time was mentioned here https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-vs-ipad.203396/#post-1410844
Ok, I know I can google for info but since I trust the knowledgeable people in here, I'm asking for help because I want to find out if it'll be worth getting it fixed/repaired or getting an iPad instead.
The Vista laptop was 2nd hand
The Vista battery is VGP-BPS9/S 11. 1V/4800mAh

Well if you venture to do it your self. If it is indeed the battery. Any where from .50 to a 1.00. Depends on the place you take it. Some places charge up to a 100.00 dollars. Some only 50.00. It might be better in the long run to get your Ipad.

Well if you venture to do it your self. If it is indeed the battery. Any where from .50 to a 1.00. Depends on the place you take it. Some places charge up to a 100.00 dollars. Some only 50.00. It might be better in the long run to get your Ipad.
Are you saying the CMOS battery is that inexpensive? If so, I might "try" to replace it if it aint too hard. I wonder how much the rechargeable battery might be? Thanks.

The battery that goes in the computer can be rechargeable , But most are not.. Its like a big watch battery. You may be able to find a video on line that will help you out.

Last edited:
Cmos battery is the size of a watch battery and is located on the motherboard. Some are rechargable and some are not.. Very few pc or laptops use rechargable Cmos battery. My guess yours is a regular battery. It size would be CR2032 3.0v.

Sorry I meant to update this last night. I wrote it in a hurry.

Last edited:
Don't buy a replacement battery for laptop as it costs too much (at least for Philippine market)
my acer vista laptop also has a defective battery with replacement costing about 7000php (1$ ~ 44 Philippine pesos), ~1 month waiting period for replacement to arrive.
the laptop is now an 'alternative portable desktop computer'. :)
from time to time, I use it sans laptop battery, plugged into a surge protector, then into wall socket.

Cmos battery is the size of a watch battery and is located on the motherboard. It also is rechargable.
ty for the info. something learned from TS = :)

Don't buy a replacement battery for laptop as it costs too much (at least for Philippine market)
my acer vista laptop also has a defective battery with replacement costing about 7000php (1$ ~ 44 Philippine pesos), ~1 month waiting period for replacement to arrive.
the laptop is now an 'alternative portable desktop computer'. :)
from time to time, I use it sans laptop battery, plugged into a surge protector, then into wall socket.

ty for the info. something learned from TS = :)
Ok, the main reason I wanted the laptop was to go out on my deck to watch movies on battery power. Not to mention using it to read from in case I had problems with my tower, God forbid. :) Thank you for the input :)

Yes laptop batterys are expensive. But from the site I gave you. They are a tad cheaper then the makers of the laptop.

Yes laptop batterys are expensive. But from the site I gave you. They are a tad cheaper then the makers of the laptop.
Laptop batteries are not expensive and they must be replaced every 2 or 3 years or so. Think of them like ink is to printers

HP G71 laptop battery cost example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-for...93231?pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item53f13d038f
I know what I'm talking about!
I'm not doubting you or anybody :) but answer this, does one have to be registered at ebay to buy something? If so, I'd need to find a friend that is registered because I'm not. Does it require a credit/debit card? I possess neither. :)
Not to mention & if it matters, its a Sony Vaio laptop. I'll be talking to the lady that gave it to me this weekend & I'm hoping to get a iPad instead. After all, my b-day is not far off :)

Last edited:
Back