Cold boot BSODs

Kondora

Hey, so I've been getting a bsod/string of bsods the past few months with rather sporadic timing, for example until today I had not had a bsod occur for over a month. Note that the bsod is only ever from booting up, I have never had a system failure or crash once windows has actually loaded to desktop. I followed your sticky thread's instructions over a month ago before now posting this due to the bsod today, I hope you guys can help :) my specs are below however it seems I'm unable to upload the .dmp files as .dmp isn't listed in the (All Files) search :eek: so I tried putting them into a .zip, but it doesn't let me upload that (supposedly it's still reading the file as .dmps) aaaaaaanyway,

Windows 7 32b
Gigabyte H55M-UD2H
Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 896MB
XFX EasyRail Pro 550W
4GB DDR 3 RAM

For now I uploaded a few recent .dmp's to dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgtin0rccsoufz6/042313-15568-01.dmp
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qt8kx4kdy09dvo3/033013-17784-01.dmp
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zot7j2s1ynzg7b/030813-17440-01.dmp
https://www.dropbox.com/s/olk6lisg05d414u/030213-16161-01.dmp

Okay, good... Go to Computer. Right-click on the C drive. Select properties, tools, check now. Put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk check on the next start up. If the BSOD's continue after running the check, the hard drive may have to be replaced. It is getting a bit old now...

Okay, I shall do that, thanks. Given how sporadic the BSOD's are though, I suppose this thread would have to be put "on hold" 'til it's possible to let you know whether or not it has resolved the issue -- there is 5 weeks between the BSOD that occured today and the most recent one prior to that afterall.

How old is this computer? It could also be a power supply issue, depending on the age of the computer

The computer is roughly 4 years old. The PSU is a year old, the GPU is three years old. Originally a weaker PSU and an 8800 GT. Started to run this check disk by the way, but as it was at 14% complete (stage 4 of 5) with 100,000 / 290,000 files processed after an hour I decided to cancel it and run it overnight instead, so shall be completed for tomorrow hopefully

Were you able to read the minidumps from dropbox?

Yes, I was able to read the minidumps. They point to a general hard drive issue. Because of the frequency of the BSOD's I think running the disk check to completion will help

Hi, seems we're not going to have to wait to see if it fixed it afterall. I ran the complete check overnight, when I woke up it was on desktop having completed the check, so nothing wrong there. I decided to reboot on the offchance it causes a bsod, and well, it did. Here's the minidump file produced by it, is it not just the same again? Next step? :) https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4sdpqtvedcxw7l/042413-17737-01.dmp

Okay, thanks. I should be able to do that somewhere in the next week, as I don't have a CD/DVD drive heh, who needs them nowadays other than for this ^^

Is it possible to use an external HDD to perform the test or? Would able to do it Friday in that case, else sometime next week

Lastly, someone else mentioned that in their opinion it's down to the version of the BIOS, since you didn't mention that I'm curious as to your thoughts on that aswell, as in potentially needing to update the version of the BIOS to fix the error

You may be able to use a USB flash drive if the bios supports booting from such a device. A bios update may be wise, but remember there is always a possibility of a flash failure updating bios

You (and google results) make updating the BIOS sound scary and very risky unless you know exactly what you're doing, hmm, I think I should steer clear from that and save it as a last resort in that case. Is there anything else I can do meanwhile whilst I'm waiting to be able to run the DOS tool?

Okay, that's what I thought... Do you have a USB Hard drive option in the bios boot menu? Sometimes choosing this as the first boot device in the bios, allows you to boot from a USB flash drive. The Seagate seatools can be put on a flash drive

Just checked, seems like it. I'd be loading it via "First Boot Device" correct? USB-HDD is one of the options there.

Two more questions if that's the case...

1) Does the test take about as long as the windows disk check? (not a problem, I just need to know to schedule it)

2) With USB-HDD selected, does it matter which USB port on my computer that I use? If it's not an automatically detecting thing I'd have no idea which USB port is considered to be a specific USB-HDD port, as there's quite a few and no real markings on most

The flash drive should be detected automatically no matter what USB port is used. You can choose what test to be done. I usually start with the "short" test first. If it passes, do the "long" test. If the drive has problems they will show up pretty fast. The SMART test is quick. If this test fails the drive will need to be replaced, even if no more errors are found

Back