Command & Conquer not dead after all, revival imminent according to EA

Russ Boswell

Diehard Command and Conquer fans probably considered the series dead to rights when Westwood Studios closed in 2003. It has been a long time since we've seen a great RTS, aside from Star Craft, and the military style strategy game hasn't been "epic" since Red Alert 2 dropped back in 2000. To make matters worse, the Victory Studios C&C project was promptly canceled just a month ago. The future of the RTS we have all come to love and respect seems bleak, but the coffin isn't ready to close to just yet, according to EA.

CNCNZ has spotted a post on EA's official customer service help site that suggests the company will be reviving the Command and Conquer brand with a new development studio. The short article apologizes to any Victory Studios alpha testers and promises to refund any money that individuals spent on the project. What is most interesting is the statement made towards the end of the article, which reads as follows:

For those of you who bought The C&C Ultimate Collection, your early access to the beta will be honored once production of this title resumes under a new studio. We would like to thank you for your time and interest in Command & Conquer, and we look forward to sharing the news with you when production resumes on this title in the future.

Seems like pretty solid evidence to me that EA is going to bring the RTS back to market. Unfortunately though, we don't yet know who is going to be working on the release, or if it's going to be ported as a "free to play" title. Regardless, this is both good news and bad news for C&C fans. I am sure that most of you are excited to hear that the beloved franchise is not dead, but are also disappointed that the original developer, Westwood, won't be involved in the project. Hopefully a company with expertise in RTS development will take on this task.

Maybe EA will toss the project towards Blizzard's Star Craft division. Can you imagine a C&C complete with a "marine rush?" 

Permalink to story.

I LOVED the series when Westwood made it, but once EA took over it went to crap, and quit playing it after Red Alert 2 I think. I still play C&C Gold and Red Alert 1 every once in awhile.

Just let it die in peace. Please.

Couldn't agree more and it does really pain me to say it. The original DOS version by Westwood Studios was great and then was made better with C&C Gold. The game got me into computer gaming and consequently computers. The first Command & Conquer: Red Alert game was great and so was the second, the third by EA was and still is rubbish.

Everything else since then has just been an effort to cash in on the franchise, much like EA do with every franchise they purchase.

It breaks my heart to see the game being announced dead and suddenly revived again. Then it went dead but somehow people forced it to revive again..

What a way to live and die....

I still go back and play C&C Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge to this day, get a few friends round who also have it and LAN up. This, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and Company of Heros are the only RTS's I play, I've tried loads of others (including the red alert 3, supreme commander 2 and CoH 2) and they are all rubbish , thank god windows 7 is so good backwards compatibilty wise :)

I Was sad when they announced that it was terminated. Hopefully it wont be bad. EA is probably gonna make it a micro transaction mania... just like they ruined Real Racing 3 on iOS.

Personally I found Red Alert 3 to be really fun, or at least on par with most of the westwood games.

Personally I found Red Alert 3 to be really fun, or at least on par with most of the westwood games.

It wasn't that the game wasn't fun, it was just extremely buggy. The multiplayer experience was terrible. When you got a game and it worked, it was fun. However getting a game in the first place was difficult and then when loading someone would often drop. Finally once in game it was usually very laggy, this was my experience anyway. To this day RA3 still hasn't been fixed, still has connection and lag issues.

Petroglyph Games is the reincarnation of Westwood Studios, when they left EA this is the studio they made, I wish I had known about them years ago to help give them support as it looks like they are struggling at the moment :(

Edit: "End of Nations" is their latest game which is an MMO RTS apparently? I'm downloading the Alpha now to see what's what :)

Just let it die in peace. Please.

Couldn't agree more and it does really pain me to say it. The original DOS version by Westwood Studios was great and then was made better with C&C Gold. The game got me into computer gaming and consequently computers. The first Command & Conquer: Red Alert game was great and so was the second, the third by EA was and still is rubbish.

Everything else since then has just been an effort to cash in on the franchise, much like EA do with every franchise they purchase.
I think the series has been going downhill since the original Red Alert series (Aftermath, Retaliation, etc.). Have you ever played the first person shooter version that was full of terrible Duke Nukem-esk one liners? I think it was called Command and Conquer Renegade. The idea was good, but the execution was just horrible.

"It has been a long time since we've seen a great RTS, aside from Star Craft, and the military style strategy game hasn't been "epic" since Red Alert 2 dropped back in 2000"

Supreme Commander was pretty awesome, shame that the sequel sucked.

I have c&c red alert 2 on a disk and it doesn't work. But my cousin has got the first decade pack and all of the games on there seem to work fine

Back