TechSpot

Common Folder, helper.sig, and random restarts

By pixelauthor
Feb 23, 2009
  1. Ok, I've read the 8 step plan and done everything on it - rebooted after reinstating AVG and there's still a "Common" folder up when I reboot, with a single file, helper.sig in it (which has been the case the whole time.) The symptoms I'm having are a really slow computer (opening applications especially), random and spontaneous restarts, and of course the Common folder with "helper.sig". Please help!! Thanks for all you do guys.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Uninstall your AVG Antivirus
    Then run the removal tool

Restart

Run Startup Control Panel and remove any not required startups: (should be most!)

Install Avira free AntiVirus

Start up Malwarebytes again; Update it; then run a full scan (remove all found Malwares)
    You need to run this multiple times, until all hidden Malwares are uncovered and removed

3. pixelauthor

pixelauthor TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, I did everything you said and then ran Malwarebytes again, it didn't find a thing. The helper.sig is still there, and while I haven't had a random restart in a while, every time DO restart, there is about 3 seconds during the boot-up (after the desktop has appeared) where my whole screen flickers to black. (It comes back, and all the desktop icons re-populate). Any idea what the next step would be - I can't seem to find a standard solution to removing this troublesome little file!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.