Company tells employees to run miles each month if they want their bonuses

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! What would you be willing to do to secure a company bonus? Work extra evenings and weekends? Cancel vacation time? How about running miles every day? That final option is one that a firm in China has implemented as a way to encourage employees to become fit and healthy – and perhaps to avoid paying out a lot in bonuses.

As reported by Guangzhou Daily, Lin Zhiyong, the chairman of a company that makes paper for various devices, told his workers that their year-end bonuses had been canceled. Instead, the money will be distributed across each coming month, and how much employees receive will depend on how far they run.

The amount of bonus a worker gets is based on the number of miles they complete each month. Running 30km (18.6 miles) in a month earns a bonus equivalent to 30% of their monthly salary. Moving up to 40km (24.8 miles) pushes that to 40%. Hitting 50km (31 miles) earns 100%, and the top tier of 100km (62 miles) is 130%. Reaching that maximum bonus would require running around 2 miles every single day for a month.

If an employee manages to complete 50km (31 miles) of running every month for 6 months in a row, they will receive a discount on a pair of running shoes – assuming they haven't quit by that point.

It's also noted that other activities count toward the targets: running is calculated as 1:1; mountain climbing is calculated as 1:0.6; and walking is calculated as 1:0.3. Workers record their exercises and distances using fitness apps.

Credit: Guangzhou Daily

Lin is a big fan of health and fitness. He claimed to have scaled both slopes of Mount Everest in the past and runs 90 kilometers (56 miles) each month. "Only when employees are healthy can the company last," he said.

Many companies try to incentivize their employees to get healthy in the hope that they will be happier, more productive, and take fewer sick days off, though this is usually done via gym discounts, cheap bike rental schemes, or similar methods. Forcing staff to run if they want their bonuses sounds like something most people would strongly object to. There are also questions about what happens if someone is physically unable to run for medical reasons. And would it be possible to cheat?

Lin's plan has faced plenty of mockery on Chinese social media sites, but Guangzhou Daily says his company's staff are happy with the bonus scheme. Or maybe they're just too frightened/exhausted to complain about having to run for their money.

Masthead: Tirachard Kumtanom

Permalink to story.

It's a great idea BUT allowances would have to be made for those that physically could not perform the task or alternative means could be developed .... otherwise they are begging for a discrimination lawsuit ....

Considering plenty of jobs don't have bonus opportunities, this doesn't sound bad to me. My only "bonus opportunity" is to complete a once a year health screening. I'd love to be able to earn more money by also training my body.
Being paid to maintain/better my health sounds like a decent deal to able-bodied me, and I'd imagine (or hope) there would be alternative fitness minded goals for those with physical impairments.

I would be upset though if that bonus was normally performance based and was something I was used to already getting, but at least it's not being taken away entirely?

I run a 5k 3-4 times a week anyway. Frankly, once your body gets in shape it feels weird if you don't do it everyday

Tell me that 10 years later. I was doing it because I was an officer in the military. I can't run anymore. I have severe foot problems after I broke my left ankle. Nowadays, I am doing my cardio with an elliptic bike, it is way better for the body.

Tell me that 10 years later. I was doing it because I was an officer in the military. I can't run anymore. I have severe foot problems after I broke my left ankle. Nowadays, I am doing my cardio with an elliptic bike, it is way better for the body.
So something that I heard, keep in mind I'm not a doctor or in the military, is that the reason that so many of these military guys break down so quickly is when they're carry packs full of stuff while doing PT.

Every pound above the knee is 2 pounds of pressure on the knee, it's also why being overweight destroys your lower joints.

In the USA at least, this might be considered discrimination against those with disabilities.

The employer would just come up with an alternative to enable them to acheive the same, but I'm sure if enough employers adopted it, you'd find at few professional victims that would cry foul.

So something that I heard, keep in mind I'm not a doctor or in the military, is that the reason that so many of these military guys break down so quickly is when they're carry packs full of stuff while doing PT.

That's pretty much why. I've talked with and listened to the stories of lots of ex-military. You're often wearing 50lbs+ of gear on your body (depending on mission loadout) and doing so even when you're not 100% on your physical condition. Lots of back, knee, and ankle problems for guys that spent any significant time as infantry.

Last edited:
Every pound above the knee is 2 pounds of pressure on the knee, it's also why being overweight destroys your lower joints.

I'm not a natural runner - prefer other activities ( have to warm my knees up to run anyway )

But studies have been done on runners knees vs say coach potatoes - and verdict it's better to run

1st article to pop up
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...teoarthritis-marathoners-orthopedic-rcna71270

Again probably nuanced - I now wear minimalist shoes - love them - feel the ground, toes work as toes ( ie allows toe spread and some toe gripping feel ) , knees work as knees on hills , calves. ankles more stretching

I just run up small inclines and down declines - to strength muscles - so more like HIIT training

Same your those who run on sidewalks near traffic - apparently positive outwells pollution - again ignore Mexico city or Beijing in full smog cover probably

I'm not a natural runner - prefer other activities ( have to warm my knees up to run anyway )

But studies have been done on runners knees vs say coach potatoes - and verdict it's better to run

1st article to pop up
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...teoarthritis-marathoners-orthopedic-rcna71270

Again probably nuanced - I now wear minimalist shoes - love them - feel the ground, toes work as toes ( ie allows toe spread and some toe gripping feel ) , knees work as knees on hills , calves. ankles more stretching

I just run up small inclines and down declines - to strength muscles - so more like HIIT training

Same your those who run on sidewalks near traffic - apparently positive outwells pollution - again ignore Mexico city or Beijing in full smog cover probably
Cycling.

There is dozens of cardio activities that you can do without running. Me and the wife hacked our lazy gene by being cognizant of the benefits of exercising and equally important of eating healthy. My wife just put me on these 30 minute excersize yt videos that are endless in content that you can do at home or anywhere and don't need a lot of space. Depending on age and risk factors it is recommended to do a stess test before starting strenuous exercises to prevent a heart attack.
You have one life either you become cog in the big pharma machine or you can be proactive with your health by exercises and eating healthy. The bonus is your health. The still top rate of morbidity in the west is heart disease. Unfortunately unlike western employers heart disease does discrimate.

LOL try it and find out they'd be disappeared before it even made it to court
Maybe it's like Squidgames, the bonus is you make it to the next round and keep your life. 🙃
Update. The CCP the Koreans are on to something even if it's for western entertainment.

Last edited:
Exercise should be a part of everyone's life though I'll admit I hate running. It's not just good for the body, it's also good for the soul. I've played tennis for years and absolutely love it. Covid and remote working haven't been good to many people. I see nothing wrong with a company trying to get their employees fit.

Exercise should be a part of everyone's life though I'll admit I hate running. It's not just good for the body, it's also good for the soul. I've played tennis for years and absolutely love it. Covid and remote working haven't been good to many people. I see nothing wrong with a company trying to get their employees fit.
After My wife had covid she had this cough she could not get rid of and scar tissue in the lung that hurt upon excursion/running more than a few minutes. I pushed her to keep on running and to break that mold of scar tissue. Guess what a few months later the cough went away and now she runs/walks for hours without her lungs keeping her back. Take home message if you had covid you will take sheer will and dedication to get over the scar tissue that is holding us back, but imo you have to break through!

1st article to pop up

Running is definitely good for you, but carrying around excessive body weight (whether fat or muscle) is going to wear out your joints sooner, even if you train regularly. It's just excess pressure that is always going to be hammering your leg joints. You should always seek to manage your weight in addition to the exercise.

If you're at an excess of body weight, you should definitely start with low impact cardio exercises until you reduce the weight to a more reasonable level. Walking, cycling, and swimming are good alternatives until you're light enough to not hammer your joints or if your just hate running.

Additionally, you should engage in resistance training as that will strenghten the joints and make them better prepared for something like running.

Last edited:
As I start my marathon training, I’ll be running 25-40 miles a week for the next few months. I’d love to have a 130% bonus!

Back