TechSpot

Compaq Presario 2100 keyboard trouble

By cotterill1972
Apr 17, 2008
  1. Hi all, i have acquired a Compaq Presario 2100 recently, it boots into xp ok but some keys do not work i.e R,D,FG,V they are from the same area of the keyboard and i cant see any signs of damage, other keys work fine. Would you reccommend a keyboard replacement for this matter or other solution? best regards, Lee (sorry if this the wrong forum area for my question.....Noob!)

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,241   +92

Yep, odds are if it had anything to do with the interface it wouldn't be isolated to a few keys. Replace the keyboard...

3. cotterill1972

cotterill1972 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Cheers Zenosinks, i will try to do this and get back with the results, although i hav'nt done it before it cant be that tricky?...can it........??? ha ha, regards, Lee

4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,241   +92

Not really. You could try cleaning it out with a can of compressed air first, however, ironically enough about a month ago I had to replace a keyboard on a Toshiba that had pretty much the same issue except it was the 1, 2, Q, W and E keys.

You can download the service manual for your laptop here, and you can take a look at keyboards on eBay here.

5. cotterill1972

cotterill1972 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Wow! thanks for that, ive only been on here a couple of days and am mightily impressed with the knowledge/help so far, cheers Zenosincks!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.