Compaq SR1710NX changing cpu question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Desktop that I would like to get more out of, as I really don't want to have to buy a new pc right now. I have 1.68GB RAM to be exact., other than that, the PC is stock.

Compaq Presario SR1710NX Desktop PC

Base processor
Sempron (P) 3400+ 2.0 GHz
1600 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket 939

I have no experience at all in changing a cpu, but I have read that the

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual-Core 2.0GHz Socket 939

has been used by other people to upgrade their PC to a dual core cpu.

I would like the expertise of you here to let me know if it would be alright for me to purchase a AMD 64 X2 3800+ Socket 939 and swap it with the cpu I have now.

If it were switched, how much of a benefit would I get, or would i just be better off to get another pc.

I dont play alot of video games on my pc, but I would like to play Left 4 Dead and maybe Left 4 Dead 2 when that comes out, but that isnt the biggest reasons for me to make this pc faster.

I would like your opinions, and helpful links if possible, in what I can do to make this pc last longer.

thank you

I dont play alot of video games on my pc, but I would like to play Left 4 Dead and maybe Left 4 Dead 2 when that comes out, but that isnt the biggest reasons for me to make this pc faster.
Unlikely, that game is pretty graphics card dependent. And I thought it already came out o.o.

If it were switched, how much of a benefit would I get, or would i just be better off to get another pc.
Probably a new PC, or you could replace most of your current one, almost the same either way.

EDIT: Is this your computer: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00572527 ?
It seems you have a PCIE slot, which means you could support a decent graphics card, if you upgrade your power supply.

What is your budget?

Bump for anyone who is old enough to know Socket 939 :).

Unlikely, that game is pretty graphics card dependent. And I thought it already came out o.o.

Probably a new PC, or you could replace most of your current one, almost the same either way.

It seems you have a PCIE slot, which means you could support a decent graphics card, if you upgrade your power supply.

What is your budget?

Bump for anyone who is old enough to know Socket 939 :).

Yes that is my pc.

Im only looking to spend maybe a couple hundred $, as Christmas is coming up and I have alot of presents to buy.

I was looking on Ebay and seen some pc's for a decent enough price and i really dont care if their used or not. I really want to get away from a single core cpu as i believe it will be helpful in some multi-tasking.

I dont really understand it all, so im trying to find out all i can.

thanks again.

I was looking on Ebay and seen some pc's for a decent enough price and i really dont care if their used or not. I really want to get away from a single core cpu as i believe it will be helpful in some multi-tasking.
I think not, even the single core is usually enough for many common applications, though for gaming you will likely need a better processor...
For the graphics card, you can probably spend about $50 for the powersupply, along with $60 - $70 for a 4670.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back