Comparative BSOD/bugcheck symptoms

Safez

Hello,

First of all this thread is in response to https://www.techspot.com/community/...computer-has-rebooted-from-a-bugcheck.179857/.

The user mentioned that they were having these issues on Windows 7 64 bit OS.

I myself am suffering, near enough to my untrained eye, errors that could be considered identical.

Running Windows XP SP3 32bit on a system that by today's standards is prehistoric
CPU - Intel Penitum 4 3.0GHZ (which I by accident overheated after disassembling to clean, causing the top of the chip to pretty much fuse to the heatsink... my bad... lol
Mobo - One of those really old transition boards, the ones that were released so you can run either an IDE drive and a SATA drive or two IDE's
Internal HDD - I cannot even remember I think ones a generic IDE 40gb (running the os) and an 80gb seagate SATA (I cannot remember what model)
Ram - Now this is interesting. I was running mismatched ram (3 512mb DDR1's running at 233mhz as reported by speccy... before my speccy died :D, and 1 gb DDR1 running at 300mhz)
The only ram to survive is the 1gb stick. (joyous -_-)
GPU- ATI Radeon 4600HD 1gb
Sound - Sound Blaster Audigy (7? maybe, suitable for it would appear up to 7.1 surround)

I think the issue is with a failing hard drive or motherboard myself. Just thought I'd share a similar tale of woe as I found it interesting that someone running a more modern pc was having near identical issues to a dinosaur that is on it's last legs!

I think the issue is with a failing hard drive or motherboard myself. Just thought I'd share a similar tale of woe as I found it interesting that someone running a more modern pc was having near identical issues to a dinosaur that is on it's last legs!
Do you need help with the issue?

I'm certainly curious as to why these issues are occurring.

I've always assumed that a combination of old hardware and the lack of a complete OS re installation was the main cause of my woes.

It wasn't until I noticed someone on here with similar issues running newer tech, that perhaps the issue lies with failing hardware, more so than a corrupted/damaged/aging software/OS.

But of course I am certainly no expert... As I said, there did not seem to be a resolution or opinion in the aforementioned thread hence why I decided to create this thread.

So in conclusion, yes, I'd be interested to know what is causing the issue :p

The symptom of slow or abending response from Windows explorer can be understood as follows :-
Imagine a damaged area of your HDD. The explorer tries to read data from it, which may well contain folders as well as files within those folders. Being unable to understand what it reads the first time, explorer tries again and again (often making a clicking noise as it repeatedly positions the read heads), until either it makes a successful read (or thinks it does), or the process times out, or exceeds a failure count. In the event of a hard failure to read, that part of the disk is marked as 'bad', and the system again attempts to map free areas of the drive to replace the 'bad' locations in the chain of locations making up a complete file.
The above process can result in an almost invisible correction, all the way through to a total inability to understand the drive's folder structure, eventually resulting in a 'hang' or a BSOD.
This description may not correspond any more to what happens in the latest incarnation of MS data structures called NTFS, as it is known that MS tends to revise what are actually international standards with no care or communication for interested parties like you or me. But it does give a flavour of the way things were some years ago.
You may be familiar with where to find your systems 'event log', if not consult your systems help system. In the event log, such things as read failure will be prominently displayed, which can be a useful prompt to replace the HDD before it totally fails on you.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions gbhall.

This description may not correspond any more to what happens in the latest incarnation of MS data structures called NTFS, as it is known that MS tends to revise what are actually international standards with no care or communication for interested parties like you or me. But it does give a flavour of the way things were some years ago.

I'm not sure I take your meaning here. These errors are occuring on an NTFS format HDD. A failing hdd will cause these errors regardless would be my thinking.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions gbhall.

I'm not sure I take your meaning here. These errors are occuring on an NTFS format HDD. A failing hdd will cause these errors regardless would be my thinking.

What I meant to say is that the HDD format called NTFS has been through a few official revisions, but MS have (probably for Windows 7), certainly made further revisions without public notification. This has meant that some partition sizes don't seem to be backward compatible with earlier software. https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-no-longer-recognizes-partition-but-windows-7-does.171481/
When discussing the process of recovery from a hard error, I am saying it is quite likely that an NTFS parttition (in Win 7 and upwards) now handles errors in a more sophisticated fashion than my simple description.

You are correct gbhall,
MS has gone away from the NTFS Master Boot Record[FONT=Segoe UI]...[/FONT]
[FONT=Segoe UI]"[/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI]The GUID Partition Table (GPT) was introduced as part of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) initiative. GPT provides a more flexible mechanism for partitioning disks than the older Master Boot Record (MBR) partitioning scheme that was common to PCs"...[/FONT] Windows 7 and 8 will not install on a partitioned NTFS (MBR) drive. You have to use the diskpart utility to "clean" and "convert to GPT". After Windows is installed, the drive will be shown in "Computer".

That is just a requirement.

Think of a program only wanting to install and run on a windows Vista instead of XP because is new technology and compatability issues.

This is a new requirment to account for for UEFI system as this will allows for partitions greater than 2 Terabytes, faster boot, better system control security and many other unmentioned things.

THink about how Sony dropped support for backwards compatibility when they released their PS3.

It is something like that. Or like Android will not install on some older device even if they are capable of such spec wise just of a an old system level protocol.

"This is a new requirement to account for for UEFI system as this will allows for partitions greater than 2 Terabytes, faster boot, better system control security and many other unmentioned things"... Ah yes, I have a UEFI system!

Yes, sometimes I have to use diskpart to change the drive to GPT or just use the "clean" feature in diskpart in order to install Windows 7 or Windows 8 on the hard drive whether it's mechanical or SSD. Vista is long gone to me and my customers

Yes, Vista WOULD be long gone for except for that fact that 45% of systems are XP 15% is Vista and 35% is 7 the other (older operating systems) make up the last 5% xD

All Vista machines can and should be easily be upgraded to Windows 7 and it seems like Windows 8 will adapt to XP PC's

A person should never upgrade the Operating System installed on their machine to a newer major version unless the following conditions are met:

1. A piece of software requires that newer version of the Operating System
2. A piece of hardware, or alternatively, it's hardware drivers, require that new version of the Operating System.
3. All of the above.

One can upgrade however they please, but to account for and allowing of such to establish compatibility to exist and to allow for major bugs to be removed, it is recommended you follow those guidelines.

That is what I tell my customers. Even though the upgrade would greatly improve things, some user do not properly upgrade making the challenge a little harder.

Back