Comparing Nvidia DLSS vs AMD FSR in the same games: Round 1

Scorpus

Staff member
TL;DR: The ultimate question that most gamers have been asking is: is DLSS or FSR "better" That's a near impossible question because there are lots of factors to consider: visual quality, performance, artifacting, specific game support, and so on. Neither technology will be the best in all those categories. But in the area that perhaps matters the most – the balance of visual quality and performance – generally speaking DLSS 2.0 is better, though to the degree it’s better varies significantly depending on the game and playing conditions.

We've covered DLSS in-depth a few times as it's progressed and improved, and we recently took an early look at FSR, so without rehashing much about how they work, you should know these are two fundamentally different technologies attempting to achieve the same outcome: improve performance without a significant loss to visual quality.

AMD’s FSR is the more simple technique. It’s a spatial upscaling technology that combines edge detection upscaling with a sharpening pass. Nvidia’s DLSS on the other hand is more complex, incorporating temporal data including prior frames and motion vectors, and uses an AI network to assist with the image reconstruction process. Both require games-specific integration, ideally before final post-processing and UI effects are added, and both feature several modes in their standard configuration.

There are several games now supporting both techniques, and the two we're focusing on in this video are Marvel’s Avengers and Necromunda Hired Gun. Avengers is developed by Crystal Dynamics and uses their in house Foundation Engine, similar to the prior Tomb Raider games they have worked on. Meanwhile, Necromunda is a game from Streum On Studio set in the Warhammer 40K universe that uses Unreal Engine 4. The integration of FSR in Avengers came as a bit of a surprise as it wasn’t a title AMD listed in their launch presentation.

Both titles use the first iteration of FSR which AMD are calling FSR 1.0, and they are making it pretty clear in their documentation that they’d like people to use “FSR 1.0” branding in their games. Meanwhile, both of these titles use a variant of DLSS 2.0.

This is the kind of test that has both a performance and image quality components, so check out the video above for all those. We’re mostly interested in which modes of DLSS and FSR perform the same, rather than comparing both at the same base render resolution, which is not that relevant for real world usage outside of “for science” investigations.

Permalink to story.

That's not the reason he's upset. He is pro AMD and in the video the conclusion is DLSS is better, altough in some situations they are very close.
Nope. I had GeForces 256, 2 MX400, 2 Pro, 4 MX440, FX5900XT, 670, 980 and 1080. My opinion is strictly related to my perception after watching that guy 25 minutes. They should put someone more charismatic, next time.

Opine about my opinion, please, not about me.

Fair enough.
First point still stands, make your own 'more entertaining' video then.
But that's just because I'm of the opinion that a tech analysis like this doesn't need to be 'entertaining', it's meant to be educational about the differences between these two techs that do similar things, and the benefits/disadvantages of both within these games that support both.

Did you jump into their analysis videos of the various settings in RDR2 or FH4, the impact each setting itself make on system usage (and image quality), and then how to optimize them for lower end machines complaining about how he didn't sing and dance enough to keep your entertained as well? Because as much as I found those videos useful and educational, they're far from entertaining. Because entertainment wasn't the point.

This isn't Linus Tech Tips (whom, frankly, I find insufferable).

I guess mostly I just felt it was rather unnecessarily sh*tty, given the time and effort H.U. tend to put into analytical breakdown videos.
Simple solution is just don't watch them if they're featuring him.

Last edited:
No need to dance to be entertaining. At least he should smile one time in the whole video. He is not presenting a funeral, you know. Very serious for a topic that is not that serious.

No need to dance to be entertaining. At least he should smile one time in the whole video. He is not presenting a funeral, you know. Very serious for a topic that is not that serious.

"You should smile more"
Why?

Here's the facts about these two techs. That's all it needs to be, cut and dry.

You were obviously looking to be entertained if your opinion is that someone needs to smile more, or be somehow more charismatic, or sound a certain way to present a pure technical analysis solely for informational purposes.

"You should smile more"
Why?

Here's the facts about these two techs. That's all it needs to be, cut and dry.

You were obviously looking to be entertained if your opinion is that someone needs to smile more, or be somehow more charismatic, or sound a certain way to present a pure technical analysis solely for informational purposes.
25 minutes of that seriousness is too much. One minute, maybe. Next time they should write it, which is better for us, because we don't have to swallow 25 minutes of video only to conclude that DLSS is better than FSR. Oh really? What a revelation!

25 minutes of that seriousness is too much. One minute, maybe. Next time they should write it, which is better for us, because we don't have to swallow 25 minutes of video only to conclude that DLSS is better than FSR. Oh really? What a revelation!

No one forced you to watch it, let alone the entire thing.

So a tech that is open source, available to all interested, supports both GPU vendors and its on version 1 its already trading blows with something locked down to only 2 generations of GPUs from one vendor.

That sounds like a win for FSR to me and cant wait for more mature releases.

I know, I know, the nv!diots drones wont understand any of that and will simply run around screaming "DLSS is better yo!".

Last edited by a moderator:
No one forced you to watch it, let alone the entire thing.
If they aren't even going to add their own content or analysis to this, it's incredibly annoying to just repost someone else's video review.

With reposted text articles, you don't have to sit around for twenty minutes staring at the screen waiting o figure out if you might might have missed something critical when the stream skipped.

As I said before and a mod deleted it (no idea why, because I wasn't breaking any rules), people should opine about opinions and not about the ones opining. In this way we can have a healthy debate.

And you, mod, give me back my post and the like it collected. Maybe the mod is the boring guy of the video.

As I said before and a mod deleted it (no idea why, because I wasn't breaking any rules), people should opine about opinions and not about the ones opining. In this way we can have a healthy debate.

And you, mod, give me back my post and the like it collected. Maybe the mod is the boring guy of the video.

I'm guessing it's because you quoted my entire post, which the second part of they didn't like and I got a smacking for.

Why not just remove the offending part of the posts, or ask me to edit it out (I would have, and frankly shouldn't have included it in the first place - I'm gonna credit years spent on Fark for that, not that it makes it right or anything) is beyond me.

Weird to see the comments a referendum on a guy who's been doing videos/content for ... forever?

The video was extremely informative and balanced. It would have been nice if the video was converted into a long form review (like what Techspot usually has) but it's better than nothing. Video + Summary = ain't bad.

Why don't they compare it to DLSS 1.0 and see how much better AMD has done with its first attempt. I'm not surprised DLSS 2 is better, just like they have a lead in RT performance at the moment. RDNA3 will bring massive improvements in RT and will have hardware accelerated FSR which no doubt will have already evolved by then. Pretty good effort from AMD and it's open source and can run on Nvidia cards.

So a tech that is open source, available to all interested, supports both GPU vendors and its on version 1 its already trading blows with something locked down to only 2 generations of GPUs from one vendor.

I know, I know, the nv!diots drones wont understand any of that and will simply run around screaming "DLS is better yo!".

So true, can't even use DLSS on Nvidia's own cards that aren't even possible to buy in most cases even more so at MSRP.

Not at MSRP they don't exist to me

I know, I know, the nv!diots drones wont understand any of that and will simply run around screaming "DLSS is better yo!".
Don't worry the same hypocrites that cry DLSS is better will use FSR in all those games that will have FSR, but not DLSS. And they won't even admit it, or say thanks AMD.

And mark my words FSR will surpass DLSS in the number of games it will be implemented on very soon. FSR will be in almost every game, but DLSS won't - no matter how much money nvidia will throw at this problem.

Can't people see how fast the official and unofficial FSR adoption rate is? DLSS won't be able to keep up at this rate.

As a GTX 1080 owner, I give kudos to AMD for doing what nvidia did not want to do for us, their customers. GJ AMD, I'm waiting for lower prices for GPUs so I can buy one from you.

I had gtx 960 2gb , rx 580 8gb and now I have rtx 2060 6gb. amd graphic card have bad driver optimization and haven't service like geforce experience , physicx ,... after many years. video encoder in amd gpu is very bad quality vs file size.I have 1080p monitor. for example in Marvel's Avengers game I play in max quality in 2k res with super res and use dlss balanced with above 60 htz and realy better quality than native 1080p and I am realy satisfy. I never buy amd gpu again if amd havent competitive services and technologies

Back