TechSpot

Compatible, or not compatible, that is the question.

By Auronkiller7
Sep 13, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've decided to try my hand at building my own PC. I intend it to be a medium - high end gaming computer. I've got everything figured out (at least I hope) I'm just wanting a second opinion about my choice of motherboard and CPU. I'm pretty sure they are compatible, at least in theory, I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with them, or any advice for me. Hey, if you feel like it, recommend something bigger and better. I have a pretty good budget for this (within reason of course, nothing too outrageous).

CPU : AMD Phenom X4 9950 Quad Core Processor 2.60GHz, 4MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Agena, Retail, Socket AM2+, with Fan (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4016668&CatId=3496)

Motherboard : FX nForce 750a SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA 750a SLI, Socket AM2/AM2+, ATX, Audio, Video, HDMI, DVI, PCI Express 2.0, Gigabit LAN. S/PDIF, USB 2.0, eSATA, RAID (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3930721&CatId=13)

One big question I have, however, is whether a GeForce 8800GT graphics card with its super long design would fit correctly or at all in that motherboard. The 2nd PCI-E slot has to be the first one used, so I couldn't put it in the top slot. I think it would fit, but not quite sure.

Anyways, thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to have a read through this, and an extra thanks to anyone with any advice or comments.
  2. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,624

why can u not use the first slot? the only problem should be with the case. put the mem. in before u put the video card in.
  3. Auronkiller7

Auronkiller7 TS Rookie Topic Starter

The Mobo requires the 2nd slot to be used before the 1st slot can be. A couple people commented on it because they thought they had a defective card at first.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.