TechSpot

Computer becoming extremely slow. It's brand new.

By PatrickRT
Jan 18, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I just got this computer about 2 weeks ago, and ALREADY I am getting lag problems. I have the CPU widget, and when I am JUST on the web browser, I get about 50-70 CPU being used. My specs are:
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
    Nvidia GeForce GT 430
    And if it helps, I AM using an external HDD for most of my programs, since the original PC came with only 250 GB.

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,202   +2,637

Which applications do you have installed to the external?
    What connection type and speed is the external HDD?

I'm not sure I would install applications to a USB 2.0 drive. Especially if the applications are used frequently. I know I wouldn't if the application installs memory resident system monitors that run 24/7. However I usually disable these monitors from running at startup as well.

3. PatrickRT

PatrickRT TS Rookie Topic Starter

The external drive only has 2 GAMES on it. I have only 2 programs I am aware of on startup also, Spotify, Skype. Donno what connection type and speed is.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,202   +2,637

USB(2.0 vs 3.0), eSATA(2.0 vs 3.0), Firewire(S400 <> S3200), Ethernet(10/100 vs 1000), Thunderbolt, ect...?

I'm probably asking the wrong questions anyway. Have you also scanned for Mal-ware?