Computer doesnt boot (well not always!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am completely out of ideas. I followed someones advice about stripping the system down to find the problem, and of course that was when the computer decided it was going to work every time. I went thru installing all the parts and all the way thru it continued to work. Now every now and then it just wont boot and all I seem to need to do to get it to work is fidget around with a few wires inside the case and then it boots. But this time I tried that and it still wont boot. I dont want to have to take apart my system and put it back together each time it doesnt boot so I guess Im trying to figure out whats going on and fix it if possible. Basically what happens is I press the power button and I hear all the fans kick in, the power and hard drive light stay lit and for a brief moment I hear it try and access the hard drive, all this time nothing comes up on my screen and the only way i can reset/power-down my system is to hold the power button in for 5 seconds. Now when the system does work it starts up just the same, but then briefly flashes the LED on the CD drive before the monitor comes to life and the hard drive LED goes to normal operation ie flashing while accessing, so me thinking would lead me to CD drive, but I am not that knowledgable in this area so any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Colin

I havent tried a different power supply, partly because I can see and hear the system powering up and partly cause this power supply is still pretty new. Do you think that the power supply could be the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back