TechSpot

Computer freezing in games (inexperienced in hardware)

By BenT
Aug 19, 2008
  1. first of all i would like to say i am very inexperienced in computer hardware

recently my computer freezes whenever i play any games or videos when it used to work fine. i know the computer isnt that great but it could run all that i needed until it stoped working. for example, i cant run warcraft 3 anymore when i could usualy run elders scrolls oblivion at high settings and wc3 is like 5 or 6 yrs old.

what hapens is the screen freezes and then the monitor turns black after a few seconds and i have to force it off by holding the off switch. after this often the computer boots up w/ low color/resolution settings.

my guess is that my video card is broken but it could definately be something else.

specs are:

Power Suply: 500W Thermaltake
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8Ghz (800Mhz front side bus) (2Mb cache)
    Motherboard: nvidia 650i core 2 quad
    memory: 4Gb ddr2 corsair @ 667 Mhz
    Hard drive: 80Gb Western Digital (8Mb Cache) (less then 5Gb empty if that helps)
    Video Card: nvidia geforce 8500gt 256Mb

Any help will be greatly apreciated and thank you.

2. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,670

with less then 5Gb empty it is a wonder u're computer is not giving more problems. I am not saying that is the only problem u have, but u need a new hard drive as none will work like that.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.