Computer freezing lately

So I suppose I should start out by stating what my computer is, this computer is a custom built pc meant for gaming. It has the following in it:

CPU:
Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz

GPU:
Nvidia GTX 970(can give more info if needed)

Memory:
This computer came with 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600
But recently changed to 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3

Storage:
1TB SATA III 7200RPM HDD + 64GB SSD

PSU:
850 watt power supply

windows 8.1

Okay, so now I can get into what has been going on. Around a month ago I got a 144 hz monitor to replace my main monitor(I run dual monitors, 1 of which is a 144hz the other is a 60hz). Right around this same time I also switched the memory from 8gb to 16gb in the computer, ever since then I have been getting weird problems. Normally once a day now at a random time my pc will freeze, and by freeze I mean my 2nd monitor will go black and nothing responds on my main monitor, to fix this I have to hold the button on the case to turn it off. Ive been watching the heat of the components in the computer, gpu normally around 65C when watching stream/gaming at the same time and cpu normally around 35-45C depending on game, so I wouldnt think this is causing the issue. Ive looked at task manager to see usages, nothing ever is above 25% except sometimes memory gets into the 50%'s when gaming and watching a stream at the same time. I have heard maybe its a memory problem so I ran memtest for the full 10 hours and it came up with nothing, everything checked out fine, also have checked my drivers and everything is up to date. Ran a virus scan, no problems, also checked my c drive and e drive, both checked out fine. So I really have no idea what is causing this issue and its starting to annoy me :s so ive come here asking for help, if you have any idea as to what may be causing this please please please let me know :D

Swap out new memory for old and see if problem goes away.

Check temp specs on video card and monitor and track temp range to see if it touches max.

Video card maxes out at 65C on temp, not sure how to see monitor though, and ill try the memory later tonight thank you :D

not sure how to see monitor though :D
monitor
verb
  1. 1.
    observe and check the progress or quality of (something) over a period of time; keep under systematic review.
    "equipment was installed to monitor air quality"
HWInfo allows you to observe full range of values of both voltage and temperature.

Back