Computer freezing when gaming + minidump

Hi all,

My PC has recently started to randomly freeze when gaming, the computer is about 1,5 years old so I still have warranty on all components.

It first started a few weeks ago, a freeze when I was playing a game, it started happening more often. So I wanted to figure out what the problem was.

This is what I did:
Reinstall Windows -> No succes.
Replace GPU with an other one I still had left -> No succes.
Replace Memory with some other DDR2 memory from my dads pc -> No succes.
Northbridge is rather hot so I put a fan on it -> No succes.
CPU is probably fine, it survives Prime95 for hours, it just crashes in games.

So maybe its my motherboard?

Hardware:
Asus P5Q Pro (Latest BIOS)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066Mhz 2x2GB
Ati Radeon HD 4870
Cooler Master M620 620W PSU
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB

Anyways heres my minidump, if anyone could analyse it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 081910-14164-01.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 1
It is an 0x124 stop error, and these can be notoriously difficult to troubleshoot, that is because minidumps contain very little useful information, therefore it is essential to look at the problem as a case of hardware in an unknown state of distress.

I would suggest you to try the following steps:

1. Ensure that nothing is overclocked, and everything i.e. Processor, GPU, RAM are running at stock speeds/settings (kindly check your BIOS for this as well).

2. Check airflow of your casing, ensure that it has good inflow and outflow to have reasonable cool running temps.

3. Uninstall all currently installed/older hardware drivers, remove any trace of the remaining files with Driver Sweeper (you can find it in Techspot's download section), and reinstall newer WHQL drivers for every component one by one. As it is an Asus board please check QVL for this board to see whether your RAM is in list.

4. Have you updated your motherboard's BIOS? If not, please consider doing it (provided an updated BIOS is available for your board).

5. During digging around for this error I bumped into some remarks that this error can also be caused by OS, however, I have not seen this error occurring due to OS on windows 7 before, so I'd suggest you to install all available OS updates.

6. Lastly, stress test your RAM using memtest (you can get it from download section of Techspot), stress test / diagnose your HDD with software provided by its manufacturer, and lastly stress test your graphic card with OCCT.

7. Ensure that your system is dust free and clean including all components e.g. RAM

8. If nothing of the above works, try to using your PC with minimum hardware, i.e. one stick of RAM, if you have onboard VGA use that, remove any extra hard drives, or DVDs etc. and see how system behaves.

Please keep us posted about your progress, and also if you get more BSODs please post minidumps here. Regards.

Back