Computer Keeps Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoth

Ok... so about 5 days ago my computer wouldn't on! Like nothing so I went to some private store and some guy installed a new power supply, but now my computer keeps crashing and Im wondering is it because the power supply he gave me is bad? or is it a bigger problem and is this problem going to do further harm to my computer such as distroy my ram and make me buy a new power supply.

Im going back on Saturday to see what the problem im just wondering, if it is the powersupply should I tell him to install a specific powersupply or something??

My comp is a P4 1.6ghz
512 ram ( my video card takes about 32 of it, so its 480)

and im going to install a new 128mb video card so should i get an extra special powersupply?

Take a look on the sticker of the PSU you have in there now, and tell us what you can see. Specifically the maker, how many watts it is rated at, and how much power it is putting out on the +12v rail(s).

I see this,

ELITECH
SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY
MODEL :LC-B450E

I also see a chart its kinda small but i guess I can copy it for you if you want

I just did a google for that power supply and not much came up at all.

http://www.canadianpc.com/productdetail.asp?StockNo=1348

Two things scare me.

One, it is a DIRT CHEAP power supply for a 450W.
Two, it is a DIRT CHEAP power supply for a 450W.

I would not put that PSU in my system. Search through this board, and you'll find hundreds of extremely hard to diagnose problems caused by cheap PSUs.

Look here for a great article on who is good and who isn't.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

I do not know if this is the cause of your current problems, but if it isn't causing any now, it likely will in the future.

so if this is going to damage my system i should go refund it right?? do you think they will give me a better PSU if i complain??

Unfortunately, it is up to the guy you bought it from I'd say.

After you buy it, it's yours. It isn't the clerks responsibility to educate people, although they really SHOULD be. If my vendor tried to put that in my system, I probably am going to look for another vendor.

PSUs are a nasty business it seems. There are no regulations on how to measure the good ones and the bad ones so that the average consumer is protected. If you put the best 450W psu beside the worst 450W psu, the difference is incredible. They should not be in the same category, but they are.

And until a new system of rating PSUs comes out, people just need to learn to educate themselves BEFORE buying.

So, hopefully the guy will let you upgrade to a better PSU. It'll cost you more money, but in the long run it is a worthwhile investment.

damn

Can you tell me what to look for what the minimum reqs should be for my psu?

my computer is 512(512-32=480 (videocard) ram 1.6ghz processor (gettinga 128mb vid card saturday) i got a 32 right now

Well, here's the thing. That 450W that you just bought "technically" is more than enough for your current system. That is a LOT of power for the specs you have. And as I have found no reviews (good or bad) about that particular PSU, I can not say if it is going to do any damage to your system.

But you'll notice here at techspot, there are a lot of people (like myself) who are adamant about people getting their PSU from a quality maker. Cheap PSUs are a nightmare, and you have a cheap PSU.

You can use this calculator here to find out what the minimum watts you need is:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

But more important than how many watts the PSU is, get it from a reliable maker. Again that link (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566) outlines who is good, and who is not.

I would say the cheapest PSUs on that website link's lists are more than enough for your current system.

Just to add to this thread, as I found it through Google.

I bought one of these recently and had no problems with it for the first month. Recently though I found my PC was just shutting down cold from a desktop to a black screen. At first I thought it was the motherboard, but then I noticed the power supply was so hot that I could feel it burning through the computer case. Also, my DVD reader was running hot as well with this thing hooked up to it. Replaced the power supply with a standard P4 power supply from a reputable brand and now it works fine. What a crap PS! 450 watts of annoyance morelike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back