Computer keeps freezing up randomly for long intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00b

I just put together a new box a little bit ago I have a ASUS P5N-D mobo e3110 processor (basically a e8400 with a different name) 8gb of reaper memory and 2 EVGA 8800 GT's in SLI i have 2 WD 250gb HDD's in raid 0 and 2 SATA DVD-RW drives al inside a Lian-Li case running on MS Winblows x64 bit.

now for the problem after I play a game for a bit my computer starts freezing for long intervals spaced about 2-3 mins apart for about 8-9secs but it just starts up for no reason and lasts forever it doesn't go away unless I restart and even then sometimes it doesn't the only thing I can see this being is something is overheating and its not just the game that freezes everything freezes my vent my typing everything. I checked the BIOs and my CPU is sitting IDLE at 50C almost at startup in the morning now for a e8400 thats not OC'd I find that friggin ridiculous so I reseated my chip and lathered it up with AS5 again and reseated my Tuniq tower now I've done this 5 times and still nothing has changed so someone anyone help me out

Make sure there aren't any other applications in the background that may be hampering performance. Usually freezing is caused by system resources being hogged and not a hardware conflict. (If there was any kind of problem with the actual hardware, you'd probably get a blue screen.) You might want to check the temps on the GPU cores as well, although if the heat on the card doesn't cause artifacts then the problem probably exists elsewhere. Do you get any error messages?

Ok, I had a similar problem and it turned out that my ram voltage requirement was 1.9v but my MB would only work with 1.8v and such would lock up the system as you described, the only way i could get it to work was to underclock the ram from 800mhz down to 750mhz, might be something to take a look at.

I finally figured it out shortly after posting this, one of my DVD decrypting programs was auto starting for no reason on startup and conflicting with some of the windows processes as soon as I turned it off it instantly started working fine again and have had zero problems since then.

thanks for your insights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back