Computer overheating?

Processor - Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 ghz(4gpu)
Memory - 6144mb
Display - ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Memory - 3823

My computer have been turning off randomly and I think it's because of overheating issues. I've ran SpeedFan and so far it list;
Local Temp -56C
Remote Temp:72C(flame sign)
Temp1 61c(flame sign)
Temp2 64c(flame sign)
Temp3 40c(flame sign)
HD0 26c
Core 0 75 C(flame sign)
Core 1 75 C(flame sign)
Core 2 75 C(flame sign)

Not sure what of those mean, but that flame sign scares me. What do i have to replace or do to fix this problem?

well the i7 920s thermal limit is 67c so that seems a bit hot might have to re seat the heatsink and apply new thermal paste.

First thing to do is clean out your computer. Vacuum out all the dust, clean out the fans, make sure your cable management is good to maximize air flow.

What kind of case do you have, and what kind of CPU cooler do you have?

not sure what tower I have, bought it two years ago and can't seem to find it anymore. I have two fans, one sucking in air from the bottom by the psu and another sucking air out through the top. But I'll try sucking the dust out see if that'll help.

Update: dusted the insides, the core temps dropped back to 47ish, but as soon as i play games it'll spike, and the flame signs will reappear? I'm not sure what the problem is, thinking about bringing it to central computers to get it fixed.

If you feel more comfortable with a professional tinkering about with your computer, but all means do it, but I think there is still one or two things you can do at your level.

Cleaning out your CPU cooler may still fix the problem if its really dirty. If you're not sure what kind you have, take a look on the web. If you don't recall buying anything aftermarket, you probably have the stock intel cooler.

There is a picture of it in this thread (the bottom of the two pictures in the post)
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=1423379

If you're able to carefully remove it without breaking anything, and disassemble the fan from the heat sink, you can then wash out the heatsink in some hot soapy water and let it dry. Then reattach the fan, reapply thermal paste, and reseat the CPU cooler. Also clean out the fan blades.

Again, if you don't feel comfortable doing this don't, but it may solve the CPU overheating problem.

The second picture is the fan I have attached to my cpu. So underneath the fan is the heatsink? I'll have to remove the fan from that part and wash it then reattach it with thermal paste right? I'll try that.

thanks for helping me

Yep, the metal part is the heatsink. You technically don't have to wash it, you can just use a pipe cleaner or whatever to get the fins clean, or compressed air.

Thanks everyone for the help.

The solutions you guys suggested works, but I don't think its a permanent solution to my problems or maybe i'm doing it wrong. My comp's temp shows around 50ish now instead of the 75ish it was at when in idle, but when i start running programs it'll jump up to about 85ish, I think I need some liquid cooling.

I've read that 5870 at radeon runs hot, and needs proper cooling, and the 2 fans I have just ani't cutting it. anyone got any suggestions on what kind of liquid cooling i should get?

I can make some suggestions, but the concern is why your stock speed CPU is idling at 50C?
The stock cooler should be able to keep it at normal temperatures.

If the problem is that your case is running hot, then putting liquid cooling won't necessarily solve the problem. Lets see what we can do with your case and cable management to see if we can drop the temperature in your case a bit if that can help.

Since I'm assuming you probably don't want to tinker with a "real" watercooling setup at this point, I would suggest one of the Corsair H50 or H70 setups. But those require mounting a radiator, and since Corsair suggests that you blow outside air onto the radiator, we're going to need to figure out where your fans are, if there options for additional fans, figure out air direction, etc.

So.....we're gonna need to know what case you have. Get yer camera out, snap some pics of all four sides and top of the case, then pop open the side of the case, and snap a few good pics of the inside. If you have a photobucket or imageshack account, you can just post the URLs of the pictures here, if you can't post the picture directly.

I'd just like to make sure that whatever is causing your CPU to run so hot is solved before putting watercooling on the problem. Normal use does not explain this, unless your case is seriously running hot inside. And you don't want to invest a hundred bucks in watercooling on a failing CPU. I'm hoping that once we get your case nice and tidy, and figure out where we can make improvements in air flow, that slapping a watercooler on the CPU will make your CPU run nice and cool (I have the H50, and it idles at low 30s while overclocked to 3.8)

It has been my experiance that speed fan does not always give reliable temps. If your CPU temperature was really 75C unstable. I would check the CCC for your 5800 temps and look in the bios for your CPU temps to see what you get. Before I replaced my Asus M2N32-SLideluxe It was reading temperatures if well over 120C in speed fan and 90-100C in the bios(both were wrong) on my CPU on load. I knew that just couldn't be possible and 2 years later I'm using the same CPU. Although a computer can always use a good cleaning (hit it every 3 months with duster), dust may not be the source of your problem.

Can you list some of the other hardware?

I'd just like to make sure that whatever is causing your CPU to run so hot is solved before putting watercooling on the problem. Normal use does not explain this, unless your case is seriously running hot inside. And you don't want to invest a hundred bucks in watercooling on a failing CPU. I'm hoping that once we get your case nice and tidy, and figure out where we can make improvements in air flow, that slapping a watercooler on the CPU will make your CPU run nice and cool (I have the H50, and it idles at low 30s while overclocked to 3.8)

If his case was running hot his HD0 would be much hotter.

I think this might be a motherboard problem.

You still need to give more details like what psu you're using. I have two 920s d0 and c0. Both have been stressed to 95 c before shutting down. I highly don't your machine is shutting down at 75 c. Use a program like realtemp.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back