Computer runs slow, need advice on ram upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

adu123

I've had my xp for few years now, it only has 256 MB of ram, it runs very slow even after I re-install it, so I'm sure it's not the malwares that is slowing it down. it takes about 3 mins just to open internet explorer. I didn't install any protection program cuz it would become extreme slow if I do. I'm about to add 1 gb of ram (total 1280 MB) to see if it helps to boost my computer's performance, should I really do that? thx for the advice :)

Yikes! Only 256MB Ram? I'll bet it's sure running slow! ;)

Advise you start by going to www.crucial.com. Allow them to scan your computer and they'll provide info on what you currently got and what type of memory options are available

thx for the quick response :)

I'm planning to buy 1 gb of ram and put it in the empty slot, would 256 MB and 1 GB work together? (let's say same type but different speed)
btw, is there any anti-virus/spyware programs that don't use alot of memory you would recommend? As of this moment, I still don't have any protection program installed cuz they would slow my computer down even more. thx again buddy ;)

Yes going to 1.28GB of ram will increase your performance immensely.

Remember to check if the motherboard will even support 1gig modules before going out and buying one.

Lets assume that your computer is a dell for a moment you would go to the dell website and look at the documentation for the system (Lets take this 8400 i looked up for another thread http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/specs.htm#wp1052308 it supports 400- and 533-MHz DDR2 in 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, or 1GB capacities), so a 2GB stick wouldn't work with that particular Dell.

Now since you didn't provide any system specs its kind of hard to answer your "would 256MB and 1GB work together" question. So if possible please Provide your system model and manufacturer.

If your system wasn't bought from an OEM provide the the board information, if you have trouble locating this information i suggest downloading CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) and looking at the 3rd tab.

Sorry for the overly long post

Yes going to 1.28GB of ram will increase your performance immensely.
don't you mean 1.25GB.. (1GB + .25GB (256MB))?

I think my motherboard will support 1 GB ram since its max. allowed is 2 GB.

here is the link to my system specs: compaq sr1110nx

thx for the help!

Opps my bad meant to say MB

Now this is confusing:
"Maximum memory size is up to 2GB, 1GB per slot.
HP recommends a maximum memory of 1GB, 512MB per slot."
on the mobo spec page and this on the product spec page:
"Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512 MB) requires the replacement of the installed 256 MB DIMM"

other than that there should be zero problems running with a 1GB stick with the 256 stick.

I think my motherboard will support 1 GB ram since its max. allowed is 2 GB.

here is the link to my system specs:

thx for the help!

First 1024 MB + 256 MB = 1280 MB :D

sorry to say that man but as your specs say you can't install a 1 GB memory.

Maximum allowed: 1 GB (2 x 512 MB) requires the replacement of the installed 256 MB DIMM

your system supports 512 modules at max so you have two options.
1. Go with a 512 MB module and keep the old one so you have 768 MB ram.
2. Go with two 512 MB modules and replace the old one (as manufacturer said) so you'll own 1 GB.

Also mention that Celeron in your machine sucks so don't expect magic;)

Now this is confusing:
"Maximum memory size is up to 2GB, 1GB per slot.
on the mobo spec page and this on the product spec page:
"Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512 MB) requires the replacement of the installed 256 MB DIMM"
that's very confusing to me too.. if only 1GB is allowed, why the mobo spec page says "the max memory size is up to 2GB??"

however, crucialscan shows my computer is compatible with 2GB of ram, here's the scan result: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=F10C538931D926C3

it says "recommends", I think add 1GB would still work, just my opinion..

Well if you can find a local retailer (ie Best buy, etc) with a good return policy you could always try 2x1GB sticks and if they don't work return them, just make sure your able to return them.

In the OP defense I did accidentally put a GB after that.

I am gonna have to agree with koorosh on the 2x512MB sticks even though the motherboard specs (Here) states 2GB is the max.

I was answering to adu123 it wasn't you. No problem though:grinthumb I'll try not to be irony

I'm going to upgrade my ram to 1.25GB (1280MB) to see what happen.
Thx for all the helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back