Computer turns on then off 10 seconds later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I just finished my first computer build and just tried to fire it up for the first time. The screen pops up asking for a bootable CD as I expected, and then about 10seconds later turns off. As I said, it's my first build, but I thought that sounds like a power supply issue (or at least I hope it is if anything), but I could be wrong. Can anyone help me?

PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3 500W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply

MBoard: EVGA P55 SLI 132-LF-E655-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Video Card: EVGA 512-P3-1242-LR GeForce GT 240 Superclocked 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

If more info is required to diagnose this problem I'll give all I can if someone could help me.

Thanks a lot

Sorry, I posted a response yesterday, but for some reason it doesn't seem to have gone through. Anyway, the heatsink seems relatively secure in it's spot, but it does slide up and down about a 1/4 inch. The fan is fastened into the motherboard almost on rails, which are what allows this sliding up and down. It seems like it is an overheating issue as the computer runs fine when it is laying down, staying at around 42 degrees. However, when stood up, it somehow shoots up to 94 degrees before turning off. I left it on it's side overnight and running and it was still running fine in the morning. Anyone have any ideas?

The heatsink I use looks like this one:
legitreviews.com/images/reviews/824/corei7.jpg

The installation instructions I followed for it are located here:
download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/install1366.pdf

Sorry I can't make them links, I don't have 5 posts yet...

Thanks

The fan is fastened into the motherboard almost on rails...
There is something wrong with the way you installed the heatsink. It should be on there fairly solidly without any wiggle with light to moderate effort. Of course, if you use enough force, you can rip that thing out of there in no time but that's not what we're talking about here. Certainly, when you stand the PC up from its side, the heatsink shouldn't slide down or move. So since the heatsink is not fastened properly, the CPU appears to be overheating and causing your problem.

You are indeed correct, I detached the heatsink and refastened it and it is now securely in place and the computer no longer overheats. Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back