Computer will not run games or program installations due to computer restarting

natemon343

Hello everyone, i recently have had having some computer problems which i have no clue why it’s happening. I have looked at many other posts yet could still not fix my problem. I’m new to computer hardware related stuff and to posting. I was hoping someone could help me solve this or give a general idea of what’s causing this to happen

Computer Specs

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
ATI RADEON HD 4670 (RV730 XT)(less than one month old)
2 Gigs of DDR2-SDRAM
DELL 0KP561 Motherboard

Problem

I recently started to game a lot more on my computer, and decided to get a new ATI Radeon HD 4670. My computer was working great for about two weeks and now whenever I go to load a game my computer restarts its self. It also restarts its self when I try to install any program. It stars up the game or program installer then it goes to a black screen leading to the restart. The games I play range from old games such as Diablo 2 to Bullet storm.I’m sure there is a chance that it’s a virus so I thought I should mention that I run BitDefender deep system scan, Spybot S&D, Avast, and Malewarebytes every day.

Temperatures

CPU is 48C idling (not sure of temp right before restart)
GPU is 42c idling (not sure of temp right before restart)

I have tried:
• Updating all drivers on my computer
• Ran prime 95 torture test for six hours with no errors

Perhaps the power supply is not up to the task and is giving out.

I have setup my computer up in many differnt areas of my house and have also switched the power cord with 2 other ones but the restarts continue to occur

I only suggest a possibility. In order to diagnose your problem you may need to substitute known good components one at a time to find the faulty part. Do you have access to a spare power supply?

yeah actually i do my brother has the exact same computer setup minus the new graphics card. What pieces do you recommend i start swapping out first.

Back