Computer will turn on but cannot access windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey yesterday i turned my acer 5102 WLMi laptop off for the night . I woke up to find that it would turn on but after the windows xp loading sign came on ( with the scrolling loading bar) for a few seconds it would shutdown and boot back up and go in an endless loop until the battery was taken out. I need to know how to solve this problem . I'm assuming i will have to re- install windows , but i was wondering if there is any other way.Thank you.

Processor: AMD Turion TL50 1.6ghz dual core

Video Card: ATI radeon xpress 1300

Running windows xp home edition

120gb PATA HDD

1 GB of DDR2 RAM

At boot hit f8 and choose 'last known working configuration'.If this doent work then your right a Clean install maybe required,Perhaps wait a bit and someone else will post a different option
good luck and keep posting

At boot hit f8 and choose 'last known working configuration'.If this doent work then your right a Clean install maybe required,Perhaps wait a bit and someone else will post a different option
good luck and keep posting

Well i how do i go about re- installing windows , i know i have to insert the cd but do i have to change the boot order because right now it is not loading it.

Before trying a Windows re-install, I'd run a CHKDSK from the Windows Recovery console. I've seen this issue before and it's likely a filesystem corruption. CHKDSK sometimes can fix this. Boot from the Windows installation CD, select Recovery Console and then at the DOS prompt enter CHKDSK /R and let it run. If that fails, try a Windows repair. If that fails then perform a Windows re-installation (in-place, overwrite the existing Windows installation.

Best,
-- Andy

Heres my boot order

Hey i have the cd but it doesn't recognize it , i think i have to change my boot order , can you tell me what to put 1st?

1. IDE 0
2. IDE 1
3. SATA
4. PCI BEV: Realtek Boot Agent
5. USB HDD
6. USB CDROM
7. USB FDD
8. USB KEY

Heres my boot order right now what do i have to switch it to so it will recognize my xp cd

Try #2 assuming your CD ROM drive is connected to IDE 1. You need to boot off of CD, let XP setup start, go to the recovery console and from the command line try CHKDSK /R. let it run and when it done try reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back