computer wont stop freezing.. please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragez0r

k.. this is getting out of hand.. before it only happened when i was leaving the pc to download stuff overnight.. but now its happening every friggin hour.. .. i leave my pc .. come back.. frozen.... and once or twice.. it happened while i was on it.. .. and sometimes when i reboot... not all icons are in the systray (i.e..norton antivirus, blackice firewall and some other stuff i cant recall.. the only new hardware ive installed is the ati radeon 9550.. and the overnight jams started over a month ago so i cannot recall which software i installed that might have provoked this.. im trying to do a defrag.. but itll jam.. i can try doing a scandisk.. but itll prolly jam as well...HELP

okay.. this is an old post that i posted in another forum, but they abandoned tryign to help me.. so.. im bringing this issue here... now it only jams..overnight or when im heavily downloading (6 to 10 torrents at once)... ive also replaced both dimms of ram (previously 2x256) to 2x512 now...and my motherboard can handle a maximum of 2 gigs of ram.. so thats not a problem.. someone told me it could be dust.. i cleaned that... umm.. someone else told its heat.. and now i have a regular fan blowing into the case.. but it still jammed today
so please help... im doing a test now.. and not downloading as we speak.. if it still jams.. thatll eliminate 1 possibility.. also.. i send my downloads to my 2nd hard drive.. hope it helps

thank youv ery much if you can help... btw.. i have a new video card.. a connect3d radeon 9550.. and i previously had a nvidia geforce64 or something

When you say jammed it freezes on the screen or turns off? It could be your PSU, if it isn't putting out enough wattage to your components.

i mean.. it freezes.. i look at the monitor and everythings frozen... and wheni look at the cablemodem.. its not downloading nothing

You should try looking in "system event veiwer" (I take it your running XP,2K)Right click "My computer>manage>system events/application events"
See if you have any red stop signs .Then right click those events to see error details .Look for file names or applications.You can shut those off or update them etc.

Do you have a router or you use dial up or DSL/cable modem directly hooked up into your computer? Any firewall?

There is a high possibility that your comoputer has spywares or viruses... go to www.lavasoftusa.com to download free trial edition to sweep the spywares. As for antivirus, check McAfee or Symantec.

Liquidlen is right, check your event viewer and see what events were triggered right before your computer froze.

If you have printer connected to your computer, you may want to disable some of the printer tool in your service. I know for HP printers, some printer tools /alarm monitoring system services will occupy CPU to 100% usage. For XP, go to msconfig and see if you have any printer service enabled.

hope this helps.

dont worry.. before i changed my ram... i rebooted in safe mode and ran all my spyware programs (4 intotal).. virus scan.. defrag.. u name it.. for scandisk i had to reboot.. and i think it jammed on scandisk

yes i do have a cable modem that goes to my router
and i have a tiny firewall called blackice
my printer is a cannon

is it possible my power supply is too weak its at 115V...i can set it higher.. but.. ive never dont that in my life... i have added alot of stuff to the pc since buying it.... internal card reader, 2nd hd.. 2nd dvd drive (dvd burner)
stronger vid card, more ram... maybe i need more voltage ???can anyone tell me if this is safe ?

Liquidlen: sorry i dont see "manage" anywhere in my computer.. and im using xp (sp2) yes...

my cpu usage is usually between 3 and 15% when im not doing nothing
what exactly should i be looking for in msconfig.. something related to my printer ?

ragez0r said:
Liquidlen: sorry i dont see "manage" anywhere in my computer.. and im using xp (sp2) yes...

Click 'Start' hit 'Run' and in the Run dialog box type 'eventvwr' then hit enter.

The MMC you see will have 3 types of logs on the left (Application, Security, System) and clicking them will show you the events on the right. Double click an event to get more detail.

k.. i found even viewer in my control panel...
well.. i dunno what to look for.. i found several X's in system

some to do with trend micro systems...some to do with ntsvcmgr.. a whole bunch
so i dunno

ragez0r said:
k.. i found even viewer in my control panel...
well.. i dunno what to look for.. i found several X's in system

some to do with trend micro systems...some to do with ntsvcmgr.. a whole bunch
so i dunno

The ntsvcmgr messages are usually important. They are indicators that a service is not starting when it should. Double click on one of those and see what service is causing the problem. You will more than likely notice that most of those messages refer to the same service.

yeah.. its back to jamming every 30 min now
i dunno what the hell is going on
i was just watch a tv show on my pc and... p00f.. it jammed.. twice
no downloads or anything
and i had lik 700mb of ram available

Please give us make and model of your powersupply, as well as all the specs (normally printed on top or on the side of the PSU).
Do NOT mess with the voltage switch, and do NOT open that PSU itself.
If yours is a home-built computer and the PSU came with the case, than with 99% certainty it is too weak.

network power ltd
model- nps-200pb 119 c rev:00

it sais max power combined on +5v and 3.3v output is 135w

and i also see somewhere 200 w max... sorry its upside down lol.. hard to read
hope it helps

psu means what ? power supply unit ? dont wory i wouldnt open it ever.. but that switch in the back.. well seems to me.. that i might get more power out of it if i flick it... just a thought

but why is it that it wont jam when im in xp safe mode ?

thanks for all the help so far

The reason your machine is not freezing in safe mode is because something that is loading during a normal boot is causing a conflict.
When you saw the errors in event veiw you right click directly on the error line .The next window will show details about the error .write down the file names and any obvious description then post it here. We can help you with it.
Trend micro is an anti virus they can cause problems .You need to turn it off, then run your machine to see if that is what freezes. If not turn off another item and test again.
Press Start>Run> and type "msconfig" (No Quotes) > Enter.In this program You should click on the Start Up tab .This shows you everything that starts with your machine .(DO NOT MKE ANY Changes IN This Program without getting some help here.)
Compare the items that are starting with the Error messages you find in Event veiwer.Post back with some info.

You are living on the ragged edge of disaster with that 200W PSU (Power Supply Unit).
Your PC a Gateway or a Dell?
If Dell, you are in trouble, they have their own wiring for PSUs.
If Gateway or other brand PC you might luck out. Try and find some computer-savvy person to help you exchange that PSU if you don't trust yourself.
To be sure, open your case and take the exact dimensions of your PSU and compare these with the replacement you might go for, BEFORE you buy it!
This in itself is an easy job: switch off PC, unplug powercord from the PSU, open up PC, disconnect all the cables that you see coming out of that PSU. They go to all your drives and a big one (and maybe also a smaller one) go to the motherboard.
Loosen the 4 screws that hold the PSU in place, don't let the PSU drop inside your PC!
Go get yourself a nice Fortron/Source 400w PSU with 120 mm fan, or similar.
Get a bigger one (480-500w) if you plan to upgrade your PC sometime soon to e.g. AMD64.

k.. lets see then... in system menu (of event finder)
im in the one for ntsvcrmg something... it sais all this stuff... filename netevent.dll

heres another 1
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10000
Date: 4/9/2005
Time: 1:56:50 AM
User: CHRIS\Owner
Computer: CHRIS
Description:
Unable to start a DCOM Server: {FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541}. The error:
"The system cannot find the file specified. "
Happened while starting this command:
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe -Embedding

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7026
Time: 1:54:35 AM
User: N/A
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
tmtdi

this one is for trend micro
Event ID: 7001
Time: 1:54:34 AM
Description:
The Trend Micro Personal Firewall service depends on the Common Firewall Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified

Event ID: 7034
Date: 4/8/2005
Time: 5:42:24 PM
Description:
The NTSVCMGR service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

these are the recent ones... the rest are "failed to load" crap... like ati tv wonder... and something called tmtdi...

heres the funny thing... i never installed trend microvirus scan.. iscanned from the internet... and i turned it off in msconfig long time ago

very odd

k..well the power supply idea is promising..any reason i flip the switch to give me more power ?? u know... temporarily until i can get 40-50 $ for a new one...

thanks again

That voltage switch is only for selecting the INPUT voltage, which comes out of the wall-socket.
You have 115v coming out of the wall in the USA, so your PSU is also set for 115v.
If you flip that switch to 220/240v or whatever it says, you will only get about HALF the power that you have now, as that wall socket will still only give 115v.
So don't even THINK about switching over!

You need more OUTPUT power, which you will only get from a more powerful PSU such as I described.

That tmtdi file is also a Trend Micro file.
Check in Add/Remove Programs if there is an UNinstall possible for anything to do with TrendMicro.

just curious, whats the diff between a expensive psu and a cheap psu.... cuz i saw 1 on ebay for like 10$.. and i hate to admit it but thats the only thing that could fit in my budget... so what.. it has a shorter lifespan ? or does it fry the motherboard ? what ?
what makes this different from a forton or soemthign ?

i mean.. allcheap stuff dies soon.. thats a common fact

ragez0r said:
just curious, whats the diff between a expensive psu and a cheap psu.... cuz i saw 1 on ebay for like 10$.. and i hate to admit it but thats the only thing that could fit in my budget... so what.. it has a shorter lifespan ? or does it fry the motherboard ? what ?

Cheap power supplies are just that CHEAP! power supply works buy suppling power to your system and power is watts the more watts you have the bettter but to have all the avilable watts you need efficenty of the device takes effect .Higher price power supplies have better efficenty and there for produce more watts

Example: Lets say your computer needs 200 watts to run and

your power supply is a chepie you paid 10$ for lets say the power supply says 300W at 50% efficenty this will only be 150W of total power .YOu see where we are going with this now where as 300W@75% efficenty will be 225w which
will give you your 200 watts you need to run your system.. You get teh idea now...

Here is a little guide for you you can keep!

COMPONENT POWER REQUIRMENT LINES USED

OLDER CPU 20-40W +3.3V

ATHLON XP, 60-90W +12V
ATHLON 64
P4

MOTHERBOARD 20-30W +3.3V,+V AND 12V

RAM 20W per 256 +3.3v

PCI CARD 5-10W +5V

AGP VIDEO 20-50W +5VAND/OR+12V
(3.3VFROM MOBO)

CPU CASE FAN 2-4W +12V

5,4000RPM HDD 5-10W +5AND +12V

7,2000RPM HDD 5-15W +5AND +12V

10,000RPM HDD 5-20W +5 AND +12V

FLOPPY 5 W +5 AND +12V

CD/DVD DRVE 10-20W +5 AND +12V

COLD CATH LIGHTS 3W EACH +12 OR +5

LED 1W EACH +12 OR +5

ragez0r said:

Quality control. Better components work better.

Boots

just like to point out 1 thing.. for the psu theory.. the pc started jamming asbout 2 or 3 weeks after the installation of the video card.. possibly a month.. and all that time prior.. i had 2 disc drives and 2 hard drives.. and i dont think it jammed at those times... i dont think...

anyways... im going for the expensive psu...
antec

Well if money is tight which is is for a lot people right now I would first unistall the video card drivers even remove them from registery there are also a lot of other things here casing a problem it might be best to back up your programs defrag your harddrive and reinstall the os as well as all the drivers again before buying a new power supply .Granted it well take a few hours to do all of this but it just might solve your problem...

ah but theres a dilema... when purchasing the computer.. i had a winxp booklet.. never did i think to check if thers an actual cd... there wasnt.. and iwas left with no cd cuz both the store and gateway refused to give me a winxp cd
i mean i have a legal version of xp on my pc.. i have a microsoft sticker and everything.. its legit.. but no cd to reinstall.. id like to tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back